sealing fiberglass edge.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer
I am installing a swim platform and I had to grind the edge to match the transom angle. I now have exposed fiberglass and want to seal it. It is in a location that will get limited sun and is not visible. I have epoxy and vinylester and was going to seal it with vinylester.

After the vinylester cures I will brush on a coat of white gelcoat to cover it.

Does that sound like a good plan?

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: sealing fiberglass edge.

As long as what was ground off didn't compromise the mounting structure of the platform (i.e. too much glass was removed), then yes! If there was a fair amount of glass removed, then you might want to layup a little more material on that edge now that the angle is set..

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

Nothing compromised. Not enough glass taken off and in a non critical area. Can't wait to get this thing done.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

Didn't get a chance to pick up gelcoat from my normal place, but figured I would stop by West Marine and get some today. Not to be. They have gelcoat paste, but I don't want paste. I want liquid.

Since this area will get very little sun, can I just tint the vinylester and not put gelcoat over it?

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not to say that you can't tint the vinylester, I've just never heard of it. I would stick with plan A and use actual gelcoat. If it's not going to be real visible, I wouldn't be too concerned about the color match. If you're getting laminating gelcoat, make sure to pick up some PVA to seal the surface so you get a full cure (otherwise it will remain tacky for sanding..)

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

I've got sealing agent for the vinyl. Was hoping to get it done today. Hopefully TAP is open tomorrow so I can get the gelcoat so I can do all the sealing and coating in one day.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

That was a pita. 3 coats of tinted vinylester followed by 2 coats of gelcoat. The last one had the surfacing agent in it so it will get a fully cure. Looking forward to this part being done. This week I will coat the holes in the boat with resin and allow to cure and then it will be time to put it all together.