oil

I decide to change the oil in my 4.3 mercruiser today and notice the stick was way over full. it was not milky or smell of gas but when i was suctioning it out it looked like water. runs fine. any suggestion.:confused: also any suggestion on what kind of oil. bought the boat last summer. first time on oil change since I bought the boat.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: oil

a quality brand 25W-40 oil is merc recommended

SAE 30 is second choice

as far as "making" oil the only thing you can do is suck out as much as you can, re-fill with clean oil and new filter, run it up and check for leaks, note the level on the dipstick, run it again letting the engine get to operating temp (about 20 good mins of run time), let the motor heat soak (20 mins of just sitting), run it again up to operating temp (20 good minutes of run time), re-check the level on the dipstick and note oil color/quality

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: oil

I decide to change the oil in my 4.3 mercruiser today and notice the stick was way over full. it was not milky or smell of gas but when i was suctioning it out it looked like water. runs fine. any suggestion.:confused: also any suggestion on what kind of oil. bought the boat last summer. first time on oil change since I bought the boat.

1. You should change your at the END of summer instead of leaving possibly contaminated oil in there all Winter.

2. If you do not want to use Mercruisers suggested oil use whatever you want. It's all been used successfully.

3. If your oil is "Way over full", and you have water in the oil, you most likely have a cracked block. Did anyone winterize the engine before freezing ambient temps?

Regards,

Rick