Battery-not charging are discharging!!

Ruff11

Recruit
1992 Johnson outboard 115hp, just bought boat battery weak replaced battery. Now first time using boat after hour battery dead are so weak will not turn over engine!! Where should I start to ck out what problem could be? Thanks for your time and info!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Battery-not charging are discharging!!

I guess the first thing I would check is to see if the charging system is working properly. Do you have a volt meter, if so charge the battery and check the battery voltage, should be close to 12 volts. Start the engine and run at high idle, on the hose or in the water, and see if the voltage goes up to some where around 14 volts.
Are you running a lot of accesories on your boat? Do you have a lot of extra wires on your battery?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Battery-not charging are discharging!!

Sounds like a short in the wiring harness. Install an ammeter between the battery positive post and the red wire of the OB motor, with all accessories (bilge pump, radios etc) off. Start with a 20A ammeter setting, and just touch it, or you can blow the meter. If you do not see a reading, lower the scale until you get a reading or reach the 1 Amp scale. If no reading on a 1 Amp scale, it is not a short.