XX1998 John 200 Oceanrunner Que

mikey456

Seaman Apprentice
I bought this motor from a guy 3 Months ago who said the motor didnt have fire. I basically replaced all together at the same time the Stator, Timer Base, Power Pack, all the Coils, New Plugs. I even replaced 2 magnets that were stuck to the Stator when I removed the Flywheeel. The Magnets were replaced and attached to the flywheel correctly. I checked the flywheel pickup position and it was dead on as well.
The Motor is a 1998 and my controls are 1988. I purchased the adapter kit for the Controls and installed it correctly,,, I think. This motor didnt come with VRO tank but was told it used to have it.
I didnt replace the Rectifyer. I can crank the motor, use the trim and click the primer solenoid. But still no fire. No cylinders.
I checked the magnets, they are in place and accounted for. Questions

1. How can I check the Rectifyer? I do have a multimeter and a DVA adapter. Please explain in detail the procedure.
2. How can I be sure the adapter kit for the controls is all accounted for? It seems all items plugged in except for 1 or 2 for which I taped off. Maybe the VRO plugs I taped? Is there something possibly triggering a kill switch?
3. I need Input and comments welcome.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: XX1998 John 200 Oceanrunner Que

Since you have the adaptor harness simply unplug the red cannon plug. Now check for spark. If you try to start the motor with the harness unplugged and it does start you will have no way to shut it off so just check for spark. You'll have to jump the starter solenoid to spin it over. If you have spark now, the key switch, kill switch or harness is bad.

The kill lanyard is connected, right?

mikey456

Seaman Apprentice

I am still getting to know this motor. Not sure what a Kill Lanyard is.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Did you disconnect the red plug and check spark?

mikey456

Seaman Apprentice

I disconnected the red wire harness and jumped the solenoid. No spark.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

CDI Electronics has a trrouble shoorting guide on line. You might also consider an OEM shop manual as well.