Standing water in bellows volvo sx drive

Chamaco

Recruit
I just pulled my drive to find standing water in the drive bellows. I would think that if it was leaking it would have drained out after sitting on the trailer for a week. The bilge is perfectly dry and nothing is leaking that I can tell in the engine compartment. The water was relatively clean, as it was not mixed with oil. I am planning on replacing the bellows, but could I have a much more major problem. Any suggestions on where to look.

97 Larson flyer
3.0 GS MLKD
TSK SX-C1

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Standing water in bellows volvo sx drive

You will need new gimbal bearing and ujoints, and make sure the ujoint yoke going into the drive is not rusty. If it is, it will damage the input shaft seal in the drive. Change the gear lube to make sure there is no water in it. Since the input shaft seal is only designed to keep oil in, not water out.

Chamaco

Recruit

I was prepared to change the gimbal bearing as well. I'll put u joints on the list, as well as the shaft seal. There is absolutely no rust on anything inside the bellows, everything turns freely and cleanly. From the looks of things I got to it in time. So I can safely assume the bellows was leaking, replace it and be confident that me water intrusion problem is fixed?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If there is no rust on the yoke, no reason to replace the shaft seal. The rust cutting the seal is the only problem.