1989 30 hp johnson killing me Help!!!!!

Paramedic83

Cadet
OK my problem is i can't open up past half throttle if i do it wants to die. Motor sounds good idles fine. Rebuilt carb, fuel pump, coil pack and rectifer, If i put my fingers over half the carb and cut down the air flow its runs alot better but i know this isnt right. So help would be greatly appreciated.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1989 30 hp johnson killing me Help!!!!!

When you put your fingers over the carb, you are in fact "choking" the motor. I suspect the high speed jet is varnished or plugged in the carb. If you remove the fitting that is on front of the carb lower bowl, the high speed jet sets directly behind it. Use a wire, such as a single strand of copper electric wire, to poke through the jet to clean it out. A bread tie with the plastic removed will also work to clean with.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Heavy monofilament fishing line also works

Paramedic83

Cadet

Sorry i should proofread. I cleaned the jet with bread tie. Carb rebuilt. I noticed my bottom plug was alot cleaner the the top one. So i thought i would replace bottom coil pack. Still acting the same. My reasoning didn't look like bottom plug was getting enough spark

larryg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

go to advanced auto buy an inline spark tester.when it comes to testing things we cant assume,cost to much.check both coils and see if the spark is good.7/16 gap for testing.