ancient pile of engines found me. Ugh, or score!

GTI_Guru

Cadet
So... I had a thread started in the "other outboards" section about an old 1952 Elgin I bought and I'm tinkering with. I'm pretty new to the whole outboard scene, just got my first one a few years back, and it's worked great from day one, and now I'm rebuilding a classic Elgin for kicks.

The guy I bought the Elgin from called me today, and his neighbor asked him to try and get rid of a few more outboards for him, so he called me asking if I was interested at all. Most of them are ROUGH, but there could be some decent parts useable for a lot of other motors even if I don't plan on getting them running again. He wants $150 for the whole lot. Here are the details:

Small white Johnson Sea Horse
S/N 430942
Model HD 20
Power head stamped 43e 200 ?alcoa?
-Turns over. Seems to be close to functioning with a carb rebuild and some general maintenance. Looks very sun bleached, but all the carb controls and fuel valves and mag lever work reasonably smoothly

Spare Johnson sea horse power head ? lime?ish? green. ROUGH condition, but not a basket case. SOME of the carb screws and fuel valves turn.
No leg
S/N 5161828
Model TD 20

Elgin air cooled 2hp
S/N 58251 2362
Model 571 58251
Locked, but mag lever moves
Carb screws turn, prop moves back and forth to tell me the lower end?s not locked, but with no neutral gear, can?t tell much more than that.
Gas tank cap very rusty & seized

Montgomery ward sea king air cooled
Model 74gg9012
Serial number 114059
Locked up
Missing lower unit gears & prop.
Parts motor at best?

Large white Johnson sea horse 18
Model FD 15 **EDIT** more research shows this to be a 1961 FD-FDL-15
Serial number 2159435
Turns over. Will spin prop from the pull string
Fiberglass hood intact. Looks good under the hood. All controls free and working priming bulb seems to work fine. Probably the closest to running condition. More so than the first Johnson listed.
NO TITLE
Looks very similar to this one

http://windsor.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...oats-Johnson-seahorse-18hp-W0QQAdIdZ285735312

Martin ?60? Black hood with silver script
On ID tag Looks like a misstamped 0 then 0, large space then 55616
Mag lever seized, cylinders locked carb butterfly stuck
-roughest of the bunch
Looks like this one, but nowhere near as nice. I would guess this one is at best a parts motor

http://fennimore-wi.geebo.com/merchandise/view/id/295089-antique_outboard_motor_martin/

EDIT

Thanks!

-Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: ancient pile of engines found me. Ugh, or score!

Do you need 'em? No, but you KNOW you WANT them! Old outboards are a disease for which there is no cure. The only therapy, recommended by the Antique Outboard Motor Club, is to go to the cash machine, get your $150 out and get those motors! Quite a deal, if you ask me... Heck, the 18hp Johnson alone is worth the asking price. Get that one going and it's likely worth a $300-$400 on Craigslist or Kijiji. Then the rest of the pile is gravy. Get them going, have fun with them, go to some meets (therapy sessions), trade a parts motor for parts for another motor - you get the idea. Give one to a neighbor kid who seems to show interest or a mechanical aptitude. Tinkering on old outboards beats video games any day!

Bottom line, save those motors from the scrap heap!

GTI_Guru

Cadet
Re: ancient pile of engines found me. Ugh, or score!

See, that's the thing. I don't really want these. Well, I kind of do, but I'm trying to be practical AND purge crap I don't need this summer. I have way too much junk around already. (and my OWN personal scrap pile out back) I have way too many projects going already. It's tempting, but not for more things to tinker with. If I could find these a good home and make a few bucks in the process, I'm down for it, but if all they are going to do is sit & take up space in the garage, that's not what I need right now.

If there's anyone here interested in parts or complete motors, I may grab them, but if there's little/no interest, I'm probably going to pass on this particular deal. I don't want to see them go to the scrap heap either, but I can't save everything.

And nice sales pitch! LOL I'm more a car guy, not an outboard guy. Owned somewhere between 200-300 cars over the years. I don't need another hobby like this just yet. About to start a restoration on a 1965 Olds Starfire Convertible, so that's going to take up a lot of time, money and garage space. If I can turn these around and help someone else out with THEIR hobby, that would be perfect.

-Jeff