Car topping

Old Salt

Cadet
I need a boat for Canadian lakes that don't have an launch ramp. I'd like to haul it in a Dakota pick up bed. I need to put a 5 hp motor on it since some of the lakes are too large for electric motors.<br />It should hold 2 people and be light enough to haul onto the truck. <br />I already have a stern back canoe, 3 kayaks and a Coleman Crawdad. Is there anything out there just a little bigger but not too big?<br /><br />Thanks for any ideas.<br /><br />Old Salt

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Car topping

Sounds like Jon boat terratory, 12' to 14' should do nice.

BF

Lieutenant

Hiya,<br /><br />A used 12' aluminum v-bow is what I'd get. Like a lund or comparable. My dad has an old 12' springbok that I've used just for this purpose. I put in pickup bed right side up, bow stiking out the back. If it doesn't fit between the wheel wells, you can put an old tire or two in the bed first so the boat will sit up higher. I'd want to buy used so I wouldn't feel bad bangin' it around a bit. 5hp would do, 9.9 is perfect. 2 can fish good from it, 3 if need be.<br /><br />that's my $02<br /><br />Brent

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

I used to have a 12' deep v Grumman that would be perfect for you. I had a 7.5 honda on mine. Boat could be launched very easily from the bank out of the back of a truck.

bsandy

Cadet

I have a 12 ft.alu. Aero Craft with bicyle training wheels on the back.Powered with 4 hp. Evinrude.One person can pull it around easy. Had it for years and works fine for me. We have a place in Ca. and know how it is with low water and few boat launches. My boat is a v hull and that little motor will push it right along. Good luck

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not that you could find one but i actually have a 60's fiberglass AMF boat that was called a CarTopper. ;) <br /><br />its a 12'6" trihull that i put a front deck in, bass chairs, trolling and a 15 on the back.. love it up on the lakes in upper NY state...