new into pontoon boats

philipd334

Recruit
i researching pontoon boats never owned a pontoon boat what is the best boat for money spent and motor thanks

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: new into pontoon boats

Welcome aboard philip. Pontoon boats are a lot of fun and a good value, but we'll need you to dial it in a little for us before we can help you. Please answer the following questions and we'll do our best.

1. Where do you live and plan to boat?
That figures into what will be available to you, what you can expect to spend, and what size boat and motor make the most sense.
2. How do you envision using it? Fishing? Mix of fishing and cruising? Camping? Skiing, tubing, etc.? All of the above?
3. How many will you typically have aboard?
4. Will you keep it on a trailer, or in a slip?
5. How handy are you? Do you want something turn key, or are you willing and able to take on a project?

Give us something to work with and we'll give it a shot.:cool:

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep. Need a little more info.

Example.........our first was a 1976 24ft Weeres w/1960 40hp Johnson for $300.00. Ran, but basket case. Another $400.00 and used it for the next 15 years with a growing family. Diapers were kept in the counsel. Portable playpen, with my custom Bimini Top, was frequently on board.

Second is our present one. 1994 20ft SweetWater w/1994 60hp Mercury. Turn Key, for $4500, in 2003. Pulled the kids tubing but not enough to ski. But that was OK. Holds 6-8 comfortably depending upon age.

Now, with the kids gone, we mainly fish & cruise. No plans on getting rid of it any time soon.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I agree that a little more info is needed. You can make as much or as little out of a pontoon boat as you want--depending on your pocketbook and needs. You can go an 18' with a 40 hp--or go 29' with 300 hp. Or, you can go anywhere in between.

Many people go with a 20' boat with a 90 hp 4 stroke outboard. It's easier to tow, somewhat efficient in fuel usage and can carry quite a few people if seating goes all the way to the bow. It will cruise quietly and also pull a skier.

My pontoon is kept hanging in a boathouse, and I personally prefer a 24' with a 115 hp or 150 hp engine. My 24' Starcraft has a 115 hp Yamaha 2 stroke, and it's a very strong performing boat--especially in acceleration.

Pontoons are not especially heavy, but the length and air resistance makes it pull like a much heavier package. I can tell you they're not much fun to pull with a 4 cylinder Ranger truck. A tandem axle trailer is preferable on all but the shortest pontoon boats with smaller engines. What do you have to tow the pontoon with?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Welcome to iboats.

Pontoons have the widest assortment of boat of any segment, you can get anyhting form a 16' Gill Getter for 5K to a 28' QXI Bennington for 80K+ adn anything inbetween.

You need to figure out what you want to do with your boat than find the one that fits that, skiing requires a much bigger engine than one for just puttering around a lake also the numbe rof people you have on the boat sort of determines you size.

If you like to entertain and want 8-10 people on the boat you will need a 25'er but if it is just you and a kid or 2 a 22 will be fine.