Carburetor 101 Please...

Too Fast

Cadet
FYI I have very little expierence with carbs.

Equipment: OMC 4.3ltr Engine with Rochester 2 barrel

Engine stumbles around 2800 rpms and up. Starts first time, idles, and accelerated perfect untill about 2800 rpms

I noticed that the butterfly flap on my carb was always straight up and down (can see down throat of carb). I observed this when the engine is cold and when its warm.

Whats the right way? I bought a Carb rebuild kit and rebuilt the carb today. I noticed when I pulled off the choke housing assembly, the little port was packed full of carbon no air was getting through. Was this my problem? Also I adjusted the choke spring until it closed the butterfly flap. Was this the right thing to do? ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant
Re: Carburetor 101 Please...

All that funky nasty stuff you are finding.. That is likely blow by being sucked down the carb from the breather hoses coming off the valve covers.. No big deal.. Engine is getting a bit tired is all.. Clean it off.. Might of been your problem..

My choke on my engine lost it's adjustment.. It use to work perfect, but now it started giving me trouble.. I guess part of being old.. I just cranked mine where it would stay open, but i also live in Texas.. This time a year you don't even have to choke a chainsaw to get it started down here..

Set your choke so it opens once the engine warms up.. Someone might of cranked it open cause the choke stove broke or something. You will find out when you start the engine and the choke never moves or does..