non vro pump went bad. What can I replace it with?

dsujen

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an 86 110hp elmolcdc vro rude. I put a non vro pump on it 5 years ago and mixed my gas. It ran great until this season. The pump was leaking fuel into the engine block where the vacuum line is. I had a mechanic confirm that I needed a new fuel pump. Went to the same place that I bought the pump 5 years ago and the price went from $130 to $400. I didn't buy it. Rigged up a mikuni diaphragm fuel pump that pumps 65 liters per hour. Took it out for sea trials and ran like a bear for about 20 minutes @ wot. Then I slowed down and rode at 10mph and after about 5 minutes of that I floored it. Got up to wot for about a minute and then slowed rapidly and picked back up on it's own. It did this repeatedly. I got home and pumped out my fuel tank. There was only about 4 gals of clean gas in it. My sender is inaccurate. I replaced my water separator again and checked the factory membrane filter in the engine compartment. It was spotless. I figured that I didn't have enough fuel in the tank. So I put in 12 gals. of fresh fuel and took her out again. It did the same thing.I don't think this pump is keeping up. My boat tops out @ 35mph. If I run it @32 mph it doesn't miss a beat. I hear there are fuel pumps that can bolt onto my block that are made for evinrudes of this size.. I'd like to get a pump that will work for less than $400. I really don't have time to experiment again.Any one know what pump will fit and provide the fuel necessary.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: non vro pump went bad. What can I replace it with?

You should have made sure the Mikuni pump had adequate capacity (i.e. 20 to 25 gph to give a little allowance ... you motor will burn ~ 11 gph @ WOT). BTW, the VRO pump are rebuildable (gas side only).

dsujen

Petty Officer 1st Class

this mikuni pump has more than adequate capacity. 65 liters per hr is 16.25 gallons per hour. The old non vro pumps plastic valve body was where the leak was. That part cannot be rebuilt. It is molded plastic. The rebuildable diaphragm, orings and gaskets were fine. What pump will work other than a vro/non vro?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Have you checked the high speed jets for restrictions?
Is the mikuni pump an electric pump, did you install any safety devices to stop fuel flow in case a hose leaks or broke?

dsujen

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did not tear into the carbs because it ran great before and after I put the new pump on. It's a diaphragm pump that runs on the engine. When the engine doesn't run the pump doesn't run.