Good brake pads for towing

Redneck_Randy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2003 Z71 105,000 miles

My truck has a noisy front bearing so while changing them out I'm going to have new brakes put on also. What are some of the better front brake pads for towing ? I would like to have dustless pads also.

Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Good brake pads for towing

I got 110,00 miles out of the stock pads on my 2001 Tahoe. Why change? I put OEM pads back on it.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

2003 Z71 105,000 miles

My truck has a noisy front bearing so while changing them out I'm going to have new brakes put on also. What are some of the better front brake pads for towing ? I would like to have dustless pads also.

Thanks

At the shop I formerly worked at, we would use nothing but Napa extreme duty pads on the ambulances that we would service. The box ambulances (Advanced life support) weighed in at around 11K lbs.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I've been putting Raybestos Advanced Technology pads and rotors on everything I own for a while now. Big fan.

oldjeep

Admiral

Wagner thermo quiets havd been good to me. Just stay clear of the ceramic stuff unless you like to ride your brakes.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Wagner thermo quiets havd been good to me. Just stay clear of the ceramic stuff unless you like to ride your brakes.

ceramic brakes are great!*

*yep, there is always an asterick. You need rotors that are designed for ceramic brake pads. Otherwise you get increased wear and horrible cold pad performance if you just slap some ceramics into your calipers with the standard rotors. With proper rotors you will get better cold and hot performance, no black dust, and better life.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I screwed up and put Wagner ceramics in my 03' Avalanche with new rotors. Hate em' for daily driving, long stopping distances and don't notice much even while towing over the stock pads. Now no matter how hard I come down on the brakes, the ABS acts like it isn't even there unless I'm on ice. They're coming off.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Do your research and you will find that there are actually very few places that make brake pads, they are just packaged under different names. All of the name brand large chain auto parts stores buy stuff from manufacturers that ship it in boxes with the auto chain's name on it.

Wagner and Raybestos make the majority of all pads sold, they are just reboxed to satisfy buyers who are "brand loyal".

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMO, you've got some good suggestions. Stay away from the brake centers "lifetime warrenty" shoes. They give you that warrenty because they make the shoes out of very hard material that doesn't wear fast. Also doesn't stop your vehicle very well, sorta like ceramics.

oldjeep

Admiral

ceramic brakes are great!*

*yep, there is always an asterick. You need rotors that are designed for ceramic brake pads. Otherwise you get increased wear and horrible cold pad performance if you just slap some ceramics into your calipers with the standard rotors. With proper rotors you will get better cold and hot performance, no black dust, and better life.

They also don't work worth a crap until they warm up regardless of the rotors, good for race cars, folks who do all their driving in the city and people who ride the brakes. Not so good for highway drivers.

Quality set of semi metallics will outperform a ceramic pad under normal driving circumstances.

EMC 1810SS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am a huge fan of the Hawk LTS pads. I have them front and rear on my 7500 lbs. Excursion. I have them clamping on Napa Premium Rotors. Cold performance is great, hot performance is great, they do not tear up the rotors like ceramics and they don't turn the wheels black. I have had a few "panic stops" while towing a 6000+ lbs trailer and they are completely predictable and virtually no fade.

Hawk LTS Brake Pads