1995 Bayliner Capri Bow Back Cushion Removal

jcsteve

Recruit
This is my first post. I don't feel like a newbie because I have used this site extensively to help with my boat repair.

I have a 1995 Bayliner Capri 1850 and I'm trying to install a new radio. I didn't know which place to post. Electronics or Restorations. I'll start here.

I'm trying to remove bow back cushions. I have tried to pry the seams and look for screws and cannot find any. I'm close to destoying the cushions. I took the radio out as far as possible. It is attached to a strap from inside. I looked inside and it looks like there are screws that have been screwed from the inside to the cushions. Am I wrong or am I screwed? I have not seen any postings for a 95' Capri. Is it different from the earlier models? Thanks for any help.

Jim

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: 1995 Bayliner Capri Bow Back Cushion Removal

Welcome to Iboats jim.. :)

There are only 2 possibilities on your bow back cushions..

1. They are through bolted ( means you have to remove the seat cushion and reach up there Very carefully not to glass shard your arms and feel for Nuts on the backside ).

2. More then likely they are lift out back bulsters. Dont pry..just lift them upwards ( meaning get your hands on the bottom side of the cushion and lift UP .. like they have a "catch" that goes into a hole on your cushion backing..you simply lift UP and un-catch it..

Its hard to explain if you dont understand..but when you get them out you will understand..

It can sometimes be sticky from the grim and such..

YD.

jcsteve

Recruit

YD, thanks for the information. I think you are correct that they have some type of hook. I was able to move them slightly up and down. I have tried with all my might (not much might here to use) to lift them up with no luck. I may have pried them out too far earlier and bent the hooks. Will try again when my "might" is restored. I also have a Bayliner dealer and repair place that is 40 miles from here. May contact them for help. Thanks again.

Jim

jcsteve

Recruit

FOUND ANSWER

Good news is I found how they are attached. Bad news is that they are screwed from inside out to the back of the cushion. You can get the back screws out, but there is no way to reach the side screws. They must have put the cushions on before the deck. Un-Freaking- Believable. I know Bayliners are not known for high quality, but this is amazing. I was able to take the stereo out by reaching through the cup holder to remove the bracket holding it in. You can remove the back screws to the cushions and pull them out enough for more access. I feel for anyone else who has a boat like mine.

Jim

P.S. If anyone does find a good solution, please post to help me, and others, in the future.

95Bayliner

Seaman

Thank you for the tip about the cup holder. I'm upgrading my stereo this week and was looking at how to access the wires. Sucks the seats are so difficult to remove. Looks like one of the previous owners had some difficulty with removal because there's remnants of leftover foam like glue around the seam of the seat. There's also gunk around the interior trim panel that houses the speaker so I image there not that easy to remove or in that case to put back together. But I WILL see...

I'm adding an amp and I'm putting in the cubby hole on the drivers side, however, have to remove the driver's side trim panel (not sure if thats the correct word - It's the trim panel that's opposing your knees if you were sitting down - between the fiberglass and carpet) because the amp is a few inches larger than the panel cutout but it fits in the cubby. Go figure... I think there's a dirty joke somewhere in all that. hahha!

Does your Bayliner have a tape deck/stereo headunit on the passenger side console? If so, did it have a harness that can be reused with newer units (ie..alpine)?

Have you considered upgrading your speakers? I bought some polk db's 5.25 that will be replacing the fronts as well as adding 6x9s in the side panels between the rear and rear facing seats. I think they will fit but will have to make cutouts for the magnets to fit snug enough that the upholstery isn't compromised. I figure a staple gun and some adhesive will do.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, sorry if you feel that I have. I'll see if I can find a better solution. I'll try to snap some pics for future reference as well.

jcsteve

Recruit

Yes, It had an old tape deck. When I removed the deck it had a color code on the case to tell you how to match up the wires with power and speakers. You can also see if there is a harness converter for alpine to connect the old harness. I am planning on upgrading my speakers. I am just going to do the existing ones. If I were you I would put in the front speakers and see how they sound before cutting holes and putting in the others. I do like my music, but I found that in an open boat the acoustics are terrible. That being said, you can find many threads on amping up your boat. I agree that side speakers will help you hear the music better when running on the lake. Hope this info helps you out.

95Bayliner

Seaman

I was able to get the old tape deck out without a problem and luckily it had a harness that I was able to splice together with the new Alpine. I didn't have to remove the back cushions at all and didn't need to access anything from the cup holder.

We were able to run most of the wiring, hoping to finish up today or tomorrow.

I've read the same thing about acoustics on a boat being terrible but I've also read some pretty good reviews about the polk speakers so we'll see how everything turns out.

I was able to get the passenger side paneling off to clean up the nasty foam adhesive - not sure what the previous owners were thinking, might as well have used duct tape. I was able to peel most of it off and cleaned up the rest with goo gone. Now I have to figure out how it's suppose to go back on the correct way. I found a couple of screws that didn't belong "jerry-rigged' to hold it together.

Also... after further examining the passenger side bow seat backing I found that the wood is rotted out pretty bad. So that will probably be my next project.

Thanks again for your input.