Johnson 60hp Rod Cap Alignment

cheeva

Recruit
I have a 1988 3 cylinder 60hp Johnson VRO that I am in the process of rebuilding.
I am having a hard time aligning the rod caps with out the rod cap alignment tool. I have tried pencils and dental picks. I was able to get the middle rod cap perfect but the two other are off.

I am looking for any suggestions or someone local with this tool or experience to lend a hand. I would pay you of course.

Southern NH.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson 60hp Rod Cap Alignment

You didn't rotate the caps 180 degrees did you?
I think they only go one one way.

daselbee

Commander

Ditch the tool. Align them like you would a piece of broken porcelain. The porcelain will only go back together if you have it aligned perfectly, and then you can't hardly tell it was broken...right?....same with these rod caps.

You can do this on the bench to make sure....just take it out of the motor and align in as vise....you will see how it is done.

You can feel the misalignment. There are microcracks where the rod was manufactured...don't crank it down when misaligned. It will permanently mess up that micro crack and you will never get aligned right.

cheeva

Recruit

Thanks for the input.

I am certain I have the caps on their respective rod and in the correct direction. I'm still having a real difficult time getting all four corners to line up. How accurate do they have to be?
The middle one is perfect and looks like their is no crack and no ledge. The others have a slight ledge.

Is their a change I do not get them perfect I might trow a rod or should I just give it my best effort and torque?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

You must get the alignment right or major damage is the likely result. Are you absolutely sure you didn't get the caps and rods mixed up?

The rod and cap are manufactured as one piece, then the cap is fractured off. Each will only fit it's mate.

cheeva

Recruit

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I ordered two new rods. I am pretty sure the micro cracks and off and will never line up again. Better safe then sorry.