Any opinions on this motor??

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Saw on Craigslist a guy selling a 1953 5 1/2hp Johnson.
Said he bought new in 53, and ran until parked 2 years ago....and his kid started taking it apart to fix, but they bought a new motor...

Said his kid has taken apart the magneto assembly, and the pull start...he has all the parts though.

40 bucks!!!!

I have NO use for a small motor, but I love old stuff....and 40 bucks!!!! I could pass that under the war departments radar EASILY!!!!

I've yet to call the guy about it, and would obviously check compression, and anything else I could check...

I did a search, and not much pulled up for this motor.
Thanks for your thoughts people.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Any opinions on this motor??

If you like tinkering with old outboards, it don't get much better than that one. I'd grab that one in a blink. Check out this club: www.aomci.org. There forum is full of guys (like you) who love old motors.

Last edited:

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'd take it in the blink of a eye!

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In pieces it's worth 20.

Really??!!

I mean, if you take the cover off, and nothing's there...sure.
But just the pull start, and mag plate off?

Hope he gets back to me soon so I can go look while the wife's still at work..LOL:D

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

EDIT....well, maybe you're right.....no real good way to check compression with the pull start off....

Steve A W

Petty Officer 1st Class

Garzilla
I was surprized to see it listed again today.
If it was closer I would of called the guy yesterday, But it would cost Me $40 or better in gas.
Those Johnson CD 5.5hp motors are great first projects.
Good Luck I hope You get it.
Steve A W

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I'm pretty sure there is a rope sheeve on the flywheel for rope starting.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

They didn't make a 5.5hp in '53, they started making em in '54. It's it is a 5.5hp it will have F-N-R, if it is a '53 it is a 5hp and will only have F-N and a built in gas tank and you will have to spin it around for reverse. The'53 5's aren't that great or desirable an engine (and it was the last year for them). The 5.5's are a much better engine and a lot easier to get parts for as they made basically the same engine until '64. Then they made it into a 6hp and made it for another decade or so... Then my modern engine knowledge starts to fade out... Maybe they made it longer... dunno... anyway, the 5.5 is a great starter engine and if all the parts are there, easy to put back together and lots of knowledge here to help you...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, give us a model number and pic if you can. The 53 model 5hp was a TN model with a neutral clutch and the 54 model was a CD model, with a full shift. Like sammo says, the CD was a more desired model among fisherman and for 40 bucks, I would grab it. If the mag plate is off, then I would venture to guess the coils are shot, which both TN and CD models will use the same coils. One easy way to tell if it's a CD or TN, is if the tank is built on top of the motor, or if it's a remote tank.

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Still haven't heard from him....I'm guessing it's gone....or they can't work email....lol