sound in boat hull. Run great just noisy hull

ksstick

Recruit
Mercruser 3.0 Larson sei
Boat runs great, just started getting a noise in the boat ....not from the engine area
Maybe a vibration noise sounds like a dishwasher running....

ziggy

Admiral
Re: sound in boat hull. Run great just noisy hull

welcome ksstick. ya might read this. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=220416

so if it's not coming from the engine. it must be coming from the drive. here's a few common things but w/o knowing more, it's gonna be hard to say i believe. how's the prop condition? have ya had any drive service done. like lub ujoints, coupler, gimble brg.? have you checked alignment?

take a buddy with you on a run. see if they can figure out where exactly the sound is coming from perhaps.. when i'm looking for a strange sound i can't locate. i will use any ol hose, a few feet long, as a hearing horn to help try to isolate where the sound is coming from..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

not from the engine area
I assume that means the back of the boat, perhaps you have a forward bilge pump in your boat. Stuck float switch and the pump will keep running and you can hear it.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I had a Larson that had the AmeriCore (foam cored) hull. On the port side of the boat the outer skin of the hull delaminated from the foam core and water got in between the layers.

Long story short, it made funny noises when turning. As it turns out, I think the noise was due to the water being in there and outer skin flexing in and out as the boat travelled over the water. The water "in" the hull was sloshing around making noise.