25hp Yamaha 2 stroke noisey

Timguy

Seaman
Hi, need some advice on this 2004 mint condition Yamaha.
Took it in on a trade deal and it runs pretty good except the rubbing or dragging noise from powerhead/flywheel area. Also when you pull it to start, the trigger/stator plate pulsates as the flywheel turns, (see photo). There are no filings around and it doesn't have a knock.
Has anyone run into this as I am not very experienced with Yamaha outboards? I also see that someone has broken off the idle mixture needle in the lower carb. Any ideas for extraction? It idles too lean. I spend my hours on OMC and Mercury equipment. I think Yamaha is a very excellent product.2004 Yamaha 25.jpg
Thanks, Tim

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 25hp Yamaha 2 stroke noisey

I would pull the flywheel and see if something is rubbing if it sounds like it is.
Drilling and extracting that pilot screw should be done by someone that knows what they are doing or you will be buying a new carb

Timguy

Seaman
Re: 25hp Yamaha 2 stroke noisey

Thanks, just what I figured but hoping someone knew if it was an inherant problem. The needle is very tiny and I will try my best with the machine size drill set that I have from Brookstone. The needle limiter could have just been whacked and perhaps the needle isn't bottomed out tightly. I have some reverse rotating bits but not common in such a small size. This is really a job for a clever jeweler. Around here maybe thats where I need to go. Good mechanics are hard to find. Thanks again, Tim
ps. any more advice will be respectfully appreciated