Probably stupid question

GSXRaholic42

Cadet
I have just purchased a 1989 19' bayliner Capri with the 125 force motor. This is basically all I know about it.
1. Does anybody know what the model number is on it (there's soo many)?
2. Does anybody know how many gallons of gas it holds?
3. Does anybody know what the little black triangle on the back of the boat, near the bottom left is? It has a single wire the goes to it and I have know idea what it is or what it does.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Probably stupid question

1. On the transom should be a HULL ID number which is kind of like a car's VIN. You might can google it to find info about model
2. no, sorry
3. Sounds like depth finder transducer.

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

If your boat is a bowrider it's a 1900; if it's a cuddy it's a 1902. Either way, the fuel tank capacity is 31 gallons.

GSXRaholic42

Cadet

Thanks for the help bud
Depth finder transducer huh? Interesting is it important? Because the wire got cut.

TX H210SS

Cadet

Only important if you want the depth finder to work....and yes, i would want it working so you know if your getting into shallow water and about to run aground. I use that to put around the area we are about to watersport or swim in so nobody hits bottom. The cut wire means you need a new transducer and wire cuase you will not be splicing it.

If we cared for that is a good reliable boat...i had my Capri 2050 for over ten years and loved it....that boat/motor setup you have is the only boat i have ever gotten up on ski's with - EVER...If that motor is running strong it will leap out of the water and jerk the *** out of an elephant. Much quicker out of the hole than my 300 hp Four Winns H210SS. Get you a tripod tow bar to get your tow rope over the top of the motor and your in business.

GSXRaholic42

Cadet

Where does it show you the depth? (somewhere on the dash I guess) cause I've never seen it displayed...I think.
Yeah that motor does alright im still getting used to trimming it the right way and all (any tips and tricks would be helpful)
I got a tow harness for it and it seems to work alright
I got up on skis fo my first time also :)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people! Nah! Just having fun with you LOL

Depth finder was not stock in that boat. You need to buy a combo fishfinder/speedometer. They come with new transducers. You will probably find a couple of holes in the dash where the old finder was mounted. P.O probably used it on another boat and left the transducer because it was too much trouble to remove it.

There is also the possibility that you are looking at a speedometer pitot or impact tube. Some are black triangles that are screwed to the transom.This will have a small black tube rather than a wire.

The title of your post and nature of your questions makes me think that you are "green" and lack most knowledge about boating--this is not bad, we all started there. HOWEVER:

Do yourself a favor: Go over to the Force/Chrysler forum and search basic maintenance. Replace the lower unit oil, fuel pump diaphragm, sparkplugs, and water pump impeller before you run the boat. With an unknown history on an engine, automatically assume that these need to be replaced. Also search correct starting procedure. If the P.O has not shown you, these engines can be difficult to start--done correctly some start with the first bump of the key.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

There is also the possibility that you are looking at a speedometer pitot or impact tube. Some are black triangles that are screwed to the transom.This will have a small black tube rater than a wire.

The triangle thing makes me think this is what he's talking about.

Is this what it looks like (or at least part of it)?
!Bm1dk0g!2k~$%28KGrHqMH-EUEtrC1HGc6BLhEkkmdw~~_1_6035_1.JPG

GSXRaholic42

Cadet

No that's not it (I do have that on the other side though)still don't know what that is either. I think he was right about the transducer. I looked them up online and the look similar.
Yeah I already replaced the water pump and impeller and had all the oils changed before I took it out. But it only goes about 30 mph does this sound about right?
Thanks everyone for your help