Trim Motor/relays - Attention Electrical Gurus!

Crashpad

Cadet
I have an old 17ft Maxum with a 92 FORCE 70hp. Motor still runs great!

Ok...so I replaced my starter, and the electric trim motor today. Both old ones were on the way out. Used arco for both. While I was at it, I replaced the 2 relays. Starter is fine. Prior to hooking up the trim motor I tested it with a direct connection. Ran fine (2 wire unit green and blue direct to bat). When I hooked it all up...the motor does not run. Only relay clicking/switching. I will be more specific.

1) The relay with the green wire only clicks/switches when Up is depressed. The relay with the blue wire only clicks/switches when down is depressed. I would think that they should both be clicking/switching for up and down positions in order to reverse the polarity...no?

2) The trim motor circuit breaker is popped. There is a 12 volt drop across the connection, no question that it is a direct short. I tested it. To be specific, the red wire that goes directly to the starter relay reads +12v, and the red/purple wires that split and go each relay are -12v. ???????????

3) While depressing the trim switch up and down I recorded the voltages at the green and blue wires that run the electric motor:

Pressing Up
Green: nothing
Blue: -12v

Pressing Down
Green: nothing
Blue: -12v

note that the -12v drop only existed when the switch was depressed.

I did my best to check all connections at the trim up/down switch and all other locations. I cleaned and checked the fuses. I cleaned and checked all the connections at the starter relay, battery, trim motor circuit breaker and relays.

I went back and direct connected the the blue/green wires...motor ran fine, reversed the wires and also ran fine.

WTF...I am totally perplexed:confused:. I could really use some help from some hou you electrical gurus! I do have a schematic and it is accurate...i can post it if it helps. I can only think that the relays are not the correct ones. Not sure. I was stupid and didn't save the old ones. The new ones were purchased from NAPA. Markings say 192 signal-stat 1005.

Thanks in advance!

Rich

RRitt

Captain
Re: Trim Motor/relays - Attention Electrical Gurus!

check the control wires when the switch is down the green wire goes hot and when the switch is up the blue (with white stripe) control wire goes hot.

if you have the correct controlling voltage into the relay then either the relay is broken (or not fully plugged in) or one the high amp feeds has a bad connection.

Crashpad

Cadet

RRitt...thanks for the quick response...the High amp feeds...you meen the negative (black) wire that runs directly between the relays and the block? I will check them.

I did check the green/white and blue/white controle wires for continuity and opened and cleaned the actual up/down switch. I did not check the voltage... I will now.

Crashpad

Cadet

Ritt...You must know this system cold in that you were able to reply so fast. I changed one of the relays, swapped them and still no good. Even when up/down is not depressed I get a short at the trim motor circuit breaker the second the bat is connected. I am stumped. If I do not have a good connection at one of the high amp feeds (assume you mean red/purple off of relay to trim CB) why would short it out? Anyone please feel free to chime in.

Crashpad

Cadet

well...I just figured it out...both new relays I bought are no good or not proper for this. I thought that all 5 prong relays are the same. When I check continuity across the Red/Purple and the center ground pin it shorts. Not so with the new one I just bought and one of the old ones I just found this morning (thought I threw it away). MADE IN CHINA! LOL. Anyhow Signal-Stat 192 from NAPA autoparts either defective or not right part! Thanks to all!

RRitt

Captain

5pin bosch headlight relay.

yes, they are all same except for amperage rating and sealing. The center contact (gnd) is supposed to be switched to motor whenever the relay is not turned on. when you finger is off switch, then both motor wires are gounded. when you push "up" the blue wire goes hot and the green one stays grounded.