1985 bomber bringing the color back ?

mhyder63ford

Seaman
i have wet sanded the hull, started with 600 then to 800, and finnished with 1200. boat still has dull spots even after buffing it out. it is very shinney now but couldnt get all the color back its blue with heavy metal flake. any help would be great

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1985 bomber bringing the color back ?

its blue with heavy metal flake. any help would be great

There's the problem; metal flake. If you've sanded past the clear coat and exposed some of the metal flake itself, no amount of buffing will fix this. Metal flake is a little tricky to do (especially if you've never done it before). Can you post some pics of the dullest areas? Don't worry, we can walk you through it! ;)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

If you saw any color at all in your wet sanding or on your buffing pad .. then your..kinda..sorta .. might be boned..

Does the surface look better if you put water on it ? .

YD.

I did a how to test on another thread someweres back .. cant find it but you might want to search it out.

mhyder63ford

Seaman

yes if ou put water on it all the white haze is gone,but scared to sand much more what would happen if i clear coat it ?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

yes if ou put water on it all the white haze is gone,but scared to sand much more what would happen if i clear coat it ?

I think your going to have to clear coat it before you start getting into the flake ( not good ).

Stop..regroup .. you dont need to do this now..wait ..

I am NOT an expert on metal flake..( I know what I would do ) but I defere on other posters :) .

YD.

mhyder63ford

Seaman

thanks dr. well take a day and see what comes up on here. it sucks becouse the other side of the boat looks like new, sat facing the sun for a few years

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

wipe a small obscure area that is dull with acetone, do the flakes turn black? Pick a hidden area to test this. If they don't turn color, then I believe you would be good to clear. If they turn black then it's going to be very difficult.. Do you have any way of spraying?

mhyder63ford

Seaman

ok i did a small spot on the bottom corner , they do not turn black, but the blue is still not as bright as it is under some of the pads i have taken off

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the area that you're working with the one that was getting the most sun? You mentioned that the other side looks like new; that was the shaded side? Also, was the reason you were wetsanding because it was dull in appearance or was there any crazing (very small cracks running through the surface?)

mhyder63ford

Seaman

yes the test spot was on the bad side. i wet sanded the whole boat becouse it was very dull no crazing any where. i was trying to bring back the deep blue color that was behind the the pads, im guessing that was the factory color, but its more silver then blue now

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hate to ask this, but how attached are you to the metal flake? It sounds like some of the flake was exposed through the sanding and the only way to correct this is to be able to get the same metal flake powder (which given the age of the boat is pretty unlikely) and repair. The way I've done this is to spray a clear tack coat over an area, blow the metal flake powder into the tacky clear coat and re-spray several coats of clear until a good build up is achieved. Repairs can be done, but you need to use natural break lines on the hull to visually minimize the transition between the repair and surrounding area. Unfortunately based on the pics you posted, you would have to re-do the entire side for a "perfect" blend.

If you're really attached to the flake appearance you may have to choose a new color and flake and re-do the hull (both sides unless you can find a really close match). This is much more of a task than re-painting in a solid color. Option #3 would be to simply spray some buildup coats of clear over the dull areas, wetsand, buff and hope for the best. The color probably won't look completely uniform, but at least it would be shiny :rolleyes:

mhyder63ford

Seaman

thanks bwt for all the help. i just bought the boat so not to attached yet lol. it is very shine now just a little cloudy on the one side. i will give it a few and maybe strip it down this winter.trying to work my way up to a 18ft dynatrac 180ss. that has to be the koolest looking fish n ski.

mhyder63ford

Seaman

0529011134_0001.jpg well here it is i think im going to leave well enough alone, i wheeled it out one more time. turned out pretty good not much haze left in it now