1971 Johnson 100 V4 electric shift No Spark...I want to throw it off a cliff!!!!

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a wonderful 1971 Johnson V4 on the back of my old starcraft that I bought non running. At the sametime I bought the boat I found two motor identical motors on craigslist for 200 dollars one was supposed to run but the lower unit was off of it and one was for parts. So I have three identical motors so you would think one of them has to run. The one on the starcraft didnt run because the start was bad so I replaced the starter with one from one of the other motors and still had nothing so I replaced the control with another because I figured the shift switch was bad (and it was when I took the control apart it fell out in pieces) So with the new control it spins real nice and even shifts so that problem is solved but there was no spark. I had owned one of these before and it lost spark and I had to replaced the pulse pack so I figured it was the same problem. I bought a new pulse pack and installed on and still no spark. I also tried the pulse packs from the other two motors and still nothing, at this point I want to throw all three of these motors on craigslist for parts. What could it be? My next step was going to be switching the triggers from one of the other motors. Any help would really be apperciated!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 Johnson 100 V4 electric shift No Spark...I want to throw it off a cliff!!!!

Begin at the beginning. Do you have 12V input to the pulse pack?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 1971 Johnson 100 V4 electric shift No Spark...I want to throw it off a cliff!!!!

You'd need a crane to throw that 260 lb bugger off a cliff!!!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Have you checked under the flywheel? Points , reverse cut off, cap and rotor and associated wiring.

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to take the flywheel off today and see what it looks like under there. First i'll check and see if I have power to the pulse pack.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

BTW, it doesn't have a "pulse pack", it is an "amplifier". A different system.

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Still nothing...The box on the motor says "pulse pack"