Boat Cover

lcmains1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am going to buy a new boat cover for my boat. I can not aford to do a fully customable one at this point. Does anybody have any suggestions on a good boat cover and what to look for?

I have seen them priced from $150-350.... And I really can't figure out what the difference is. I store my boat outside so I need something that is waterproof for the most part.

Thanks,

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat Cover

The difference is in the material. The $350 cover will be of a better quality material than the $150 most likely. Try boat covers here on iboats. Covering the boat is the biggest PITA about boating. My snap on bow and cockpit cover leaks in the windshield so I put a $50 mooring cover on top of that from Walmart. Still leaks. I've now made calls to an upholster' to start looking at a full snap on cover that DOES NOT LEAK. Good Luck

oldjeep

Admiral

Difference is the material. If you look on iboats you'll find mainly 3 types of Sharkskin covers with a $40 difference between them ($350+). Couldn't tell you really what the difference was, but for $40 I got the fanciest one;) If you look at your local wallmart you'll find some stuff down in the $100 - $150 range.

If you store outside you are going to want a good one with poles to drain the water off, so I'd stay clear of the wallmart specials.

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought the semi-custom sharkskin plus cover by Westland here in iboats last summer for mine, and it seems pretty nice. Fabric is nice and thick, repels water very well, and has built in vents. I believe it was in the $300 neighborhood. You'd probably want to go with a custom cover if you want to trailer with it, but overall I'd recommend this one.

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a cheap one from West Marine fall of 2009. I was on sale for 50% off and cost me around $140. For $140 it was a good cover and lasted until this spring. Last winter pretty much killed it. I absolutely think I got my moneys worth out of it however for $280 it would not have been a good deal.