Looking For 1959 10Hp Lower Impeller Housing Casing

bassin'frog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all, got this '59 SportWin 10Hp model 10018 I'm rebuilding. The lower impeller housing casing was shot and I need a replacement. I've tried iBoats, MarineEngine, Laings, and several others (including eBay) but to no avail. Can anyone help me find one?
Part# is 278004. Greatly appreciate any and all help. Thanks.
Bob

bassin'frog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Looking For 1959 10Hp Lower Impeller Housing Casing

Can anybody out there help me with this? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanx.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The only thing I can think of would be to go down the list of salvage yards in the "Top Secret Files" and try and find a used one.

levi_tsk

Ensign

post up on the aomci.org website (go to their ask a member forum) they may know where to get one or one of those guys might have one for you looks like that part number is a dead end and may have been superceded by something but its not showing up ... those guys are wizards with stuff like that you may be able to use one off of a later model 9.5 and that may be the part number your looking for but ask those guys before you go out and buy one

bassin'frog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanx much for the info. I was bidding on a lower unit on eBay that had the entire water pump in it but got outbid. Will try your suggestions. Thanx again.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, be careful about those. A lot of used ones are pretty rough shape. Unfortunately, these particular lower units were prone to problems. What is the condition of your pinion gear bushing? These were also the other problem child in these lower units. There's still a lot of good ones out there, but if water gets in the oil, they get thrashed pretty quickly. If you do happen to find another used lower unit, make sure that you look the innards over before you purchase.

levi_tsk

Ensign

zepher will one work off of a 9.5 or are they different??

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You know, I am not sure if it will, or not. If you have access to one and can try it, it's worth a shot. Someone else can chime in and maybe verify it, but I, myself haven't tried it.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Are you looking for just the impeller housing or the entire lower unit housing? If the LU, yes, they are weak and rare in good condition as Zephyr said. I have heard that the internals of a 9.5 LU fit but not sure about the housing itself.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, samo, I have read posts, where some people have found parts in a 10hp L/U that came from a 9.5, when they tore it down. They get stumped, when things don't match up. :D I think that is because the prop shaft diameter is a different size in the 10's vs. the 9.5's. I think one thing to look for, if you should replace the complete assembly, is the drive shaft size, lower shift rod length and the bolt pattern, where it goes to the exhaust housing. Like I said though, if you can take it and match it up, that would be the best idea, unless someone chimes in and knows for sure.

bassin'frog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks so much to everyone for your help. Looks like I have it taken care of with help from AOMCI. Got a new part# and also have a member who thinks he has the exact lower impeller casing I need. Once again, thanks very much for the help.
Bob