Mercury GEAR HOUSING SEAL Kit - Part# FK1074 - what's in this?

chosos

Seaman
I cant seem to figure out exactly which seals are included in Part# FK1074 Mercury GEAR HOUSING SEAL Kit.

I have to replace my impeller, and I had some water in my lower when i drained the lower at the end of last season, so i'm guessing i need to replace my gear unit seals. I just want to make sure this will cover everything i should need to replace.

'87 Force 50HP.

Also, any tips for the impeller change are appreciated. is there anything i can do to avoid pulling out that copper water tube when I drop the lower so I dont have to rip apart the powerhead to reseat the seal?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury GEAR HOUSING SEAL Kit - Part# FK1074 - what's in this?

Unless you see some obvious damage to a particular seal, it's pretty hard to determine which one is leaking, which is usually the case. Best thing to do is to get the seal kit and replace all of them.

chosos

Seaman

and the gear seal kit i listed should include everything to fix that problem, or are there other seals i'd need as well?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Yes the seal kit should have everything you need. Inspect the fill plug and vent plug gasket too. Not sure if that gasket comes in the kit.