Fenders and Dock line

alpito

Recruit
Is it customary to combine your dock line with the fenders, attached at boat cleat?

I have an 18 foot Lund fishing boat, and am new to boating. I have two cleats on each side of the boat. I took the loop of the dock line, passed it through the fender hole to a point af about 12-15 inches. I tied a bowline just below the loop, and then attached the loop to the cleat So now I have the fender hanging about a foot below the gunnel/cleat. The remainder of the dock line is used to attach to the cleat on the dock, or use in whatever manner one would use the dock line.

I am new to boating and want to learn the correct way to do things. Is it more correct to just have individual lines for each fender, and then separate dock lines, or is there a similarly acceptable way to to combine a line for the fender and dock line.

Thanks for the insight.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fenders and Dock line

I've always kept them separate but often attach both to same cleat. Seems you would want the fender to always hang in place right below cleat but the dock might be pulled different directions and amount of tightness based on dock setup. I've also come across some docks with very nice bumpers where I did not need to use fenders. For my fenders, I use about 1/4" or 3/8" line while dock lines are 1/2".

alpito

Recruit

Thanks. My lines are 3/8. So I guess I'll need to get some half inch dock lines.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

of course there is no one answer, it depends on your mooring conditions and covenience. If your boat has a built-in rub rail, fenders may not be necessary at all.

However, I like to have lines that are larger (in diameter) than is necessary b/c they are easier on my hands--especially the anchor. For mooring lines, if you aren't pulling against wind/current, that isn't as important.

Also consider how much cabin space you want to take up with fenders; a throw-cushion works in a pinch.

emilsr

Tie the line off to the cleat to put the fender at the proper height, then tie the other end of the line off at the dock. Works like a charm. Looks like you know more about boating than you thought. ;)

Brewman61

Ensign

I put fender hangers on by boat. Two on each side. I use the cleats just for tying off at the dock, and the fender hangers for (obviously), hanging the fenders. Whatever works for you is fine. You can also consider attaching fenders to the dock, if you're in the same spot all the time.

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

For the last few years I've used these suction cup fender holders that I got off iboats.

http://www.iboats.com/Suction-Cup-Fender-Straps/dm/view_id.39006

The selling point for me is being able to easily adjust the fender height and location to match the dock and pylon positions. Dip the suction cup in the water before use and position it so the cup is inside the boat with the strap going up and over the gunnel and it holds very tight, although I do have a thin emergency line, also hanging from the fender, that I loop around the cleat in case the suction cup fails. You really cannot beat these things for the price, if I had bought them about 2 years before I did my boat would have a lot less scratches.

-E

emilsr

We do a lot of docking and rafting up where we boat so I installed a set of push pin cleats for the fenders. They're very handy, but certainly not a necessity. There's lots of ways of skinning that particular cat....if it works, it works.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

what i did was i took about 2 foot of rope measured out about how long i needed for the docks i use. then i made a loop in the one i use for the middle cleat and i put a clip on the front one for the bow rails since my front cleat is accualy 2 foot from the dock. and i dont use a back one persay since there $40.00 a piece and i only use them a few times a year, dont want to store a 3rd one. then i use separate lines to dock of course i tie off front and back cleats dont bother with the middle.

Walter J

Recruit

Hi, we are new to boating. We have a 27' Rinker. We are want to know what is the safest way to remove fenders that are on the bow when underway outside the marina. Also how to safely get them back when going into the dock. We have a finger dock. My wife does not feel right about going out on the bow to pull them in and dropping them out. The fenders midship and on the stern are easy to remove when we are in the boat. We have been going out on the river with our fenders, but only for a short time.

Thanks for any help here!