1985 bayliner

weavers94

Recruit
I have some idea what the problem is but would like a conformation or two before getting into the tear down and repair part.

I was out the other day and headed back in after a day of fishing and the boat started to surge a little a couple of times then started losing forward momentum, after losing about half my speed i opened the hatch and found water coming in at the trans bottom, i killed the engine and pumped out the little water that was there and the water entering had stopped, getting the boat home i checked the trans fill plug and the contents are a milk color.

Now what i would like to know is there a specific seal that i will need to replace or should i replace all the seals from the out drive up to the back of the trans or just a particular seal ?

captmello

Captain
Re: 1985 bayliner

Sorry, but I'm not following.

water is coming into the boat when the boat is running. Okay.

Whats the Trans fill plug? On the outdrive???

What engine and outdrive are you working on?

Welcome, BTW....:)

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In any event, if you have milky oil. You have water in your oil. Unsure if you mean drive or engine.

weavers94

Recruit

yes its on the top of the out drive

its a 1985 bayliner contessa 2850 with a volvo penta 260

Thanks

captmello

Captain

yes its on the top of the out drive

its a 1985 bayliner contessa 2850 with a volvo penta 260

Thanks

Well, I'll just guess.

The best way to tell how water i getting into the outdrive is to pressure test the drive and find the leak. Is the boat in the water now? A boat that size isn't too easy to tow I imagine.