battery leak

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer
This thought came to mind after reading another post about paint blistering and someone suggesting it was a battery leak. My question is, how do you define a battery leak?<br /><br />Is guess this is kind of a two part post. I have a 2000 Sylvan aluminum that the paint started blistering in its second year. However, this is only below the water line, actually entirely on the running surface. There are hundreds of 'spots' with small blister clusters - not associated at all with rivet proximety. Actually, I wrote Sylvan and they stated that this is abnormal and indicated they painted it wrong. They offered to repaint the boat but I haven't sent it back yet.<br />Anyway, back to the battery leak. Something I noticed a couple of years back that really surprised me. I was connecting a 12 V treble light to the trolling motor battery( which is connected to the main and OB via an isolator but is also connected directly to the bow panel that runs the trolling motor) when I noticed that after connecting the positive lead, the light came on when I accidentally touched the negative lead to the frame! This surprised the hell out of me to find the battery was grounded to the hull. I spoke to a dealer that said this is normal but I am still skeptical. Are the electronics grounded too? If so why? and where?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: battery leak

MajBach<br /> You need to do a Google Search on Hull Bonding.....<br />I explained Some of it in the other post.....<br /><br />Yes,<br />Your Trolling motor Will Seek Ground through the hull......<br />But, <br />The Idea is to run Seperate Circuits........<br />Battery Post, to Battery Post......<br />Unlike a Car, Where you can Complete the Circuit by Grounding on Any Metal you can Find........<br /><br />I'm Sure you can find Quite a bit of reading, Doing the same search Right Here at iboats..... :)