Alternative method to pressure testing a fuel tank...

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class
I posted this question on my restoration thread but didn't get any replies.

Before I move on to cutting and fitting the deck I need to check my Cleaned fuel tank for leaks. There was no sign or smell of leaks before i took it out, but I want to be sure before I fit it and place the new deck on top.

Can the tank be successfully tested if I seal up all pipe fittings and sender hole and submerge the tank into a swimming pool and watch for air bubbles?

The reason I ask is because I have a pool but don't have pressure testing equipment.

Your thoughts iboaters please

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: Alternative method to pressure testing a fuel tank...

I posted this question on my restoration thread but didn't get any replies.

Before I move on to cutting and fitting the deck I need to check my fuel tank for leaks. There was no sign or smell of leaks before i took it out, but I want to be sure before I fit it and place the new deck on top.

Can the tank be successfully tested if I seal up all pipe fittings and sender hole and submerge the tank into a swimming pool and watch for air bubbles?

The reason I ask is because I have a pool but don't have pressure testing equipment.

Your thoughts iboaters please

You really want to dunk a fuel tank into your swimming pool?
Suppose it would work, but heres another thought.

Do you own a compressor? If you do, then you could probably make up something cheap using an in-line pressure regulator, pressure gauge, and fittings to adapt it all to the fitting for your fuel line. Would be allot better than dunking a nasty gas tank into your pool.

Just my 2?.....

DanielR

Petty Officer 3rd Class

At least rig it up something with foot pump or electric one (for inflating tubing) to get positive pressure in the tank and look for bubbles.
Atmospheric pressure might not show any issues.
3-5psi is what tank makers test.
Im having mine custom made locally. Old one has minor pinholes here and there, and Im im not trusting 20 year old aluminum tank to be able to pull another 10 years w/o any signs of trouble in the salt water.
Rather be safe than sorry.

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't have a compressor, the fuel tank has been cleaned inside and out with acetone and has been sitting ventilated or a couple of months since.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

You can pressure test it with a tire pump. The same way HVAC guys test gas line. As in previous post, just rig up a test gauge to fit your fittings and pump it up. You can buy a test gauge already made up pretty cheap and HVAC supply houses. I would go with the 3 - 5 lbs suggestion.

cracker_barge

Recruit

squirt a light clean motor oil on seams and around fittings. Any leaks will show almost immediately on the opposite side you spray. Oil will seep out where even air and water may not.

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

What size is the tank? On a 20 gallon tank x 8.35 lbs per gallon, you will need 167 pounds to submerge it. Also agree that you need pressure in the tank for it to work properly.

Rig up some air fittings/regulator etc, and spray soapy water on the tank. Wait for a while and look for bubbles.

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

it is a 30gal tank, you guys are talking me out of the pool idea LOL
I foot pump and pressure gauge won't break the bank :)

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

it is a 30gal tank, you guys are talking me out of the pool idea LOL
I foot pump and pressure gauge won't break the bank :)

I think that will be the better way for you. trying to sink 30 gal of air would be difficult, even without worry about getting gas/oil in the pool.

Good luck with the rest of your project.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

take it to your local radiator repair shop they should be able to do it alot of them make gas tanks and repair them as well.