oxidation......... faded paint on Glastron

glastron11

Cadet
What is the best way to remove oxidation tah caused the paint to fade. It naturally worse at the top of the sides where the big red stripe is. I have tried a mild oxidation remover but it didnt do the trick. I have a electric buffer that I can use for any application of a product that removes oxidation........ then after the oxidation is gone what wax to help the color...any help would be appreciated.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: oxidation......... faded paint on Glastron

Elbow grease and lots of it. With out seing pictures, tough to say where to start. At the light end is cleaner wax, next up light buffing compound, then heavier compound, then cutting compound, then wetsanding. Take a look through the restoration section and you should see examples of all of these used.

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class

Explore the painting option. It isn't that hard (vs. repeated buffing) and looks GREAT if done right. Helps with resale, too.

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

What type of buffer are you using? If it's heavy oxidation you'll probably need to step up to a high speed polisher with a medium or heavy compound. I've used the 3M polishes with good results.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

i bought my boat after it had sat for a year so oxidation was BIG! i bought a buffer and 4 bottles of wax and some towels 7 months later 4 waxes later i am still getting blue paint transfer on my towels. i tried some compound didnt seem to do anything. i can get it looking good in about 2-3 hours and it will stay shiny for maybe a week.

glastron11

Cadet

It is not really too bad. IT looks light and seems like the fading is in streeks. I have a black and decker buffer with low rpms. Hopefully this buffer and buffing cream compound and a little physical effort will do the job ...what ya think?

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try the light oxidation remover first, then if no results in a reasonable time, move to something heavier, then to wet sanding. I have been working on an 86 Wellcraft Nova II lately and have learned a lot. I ended up using heavy oxidation remover on most of it, but wet sanded in a few places, 500 grit then 1000 grit, and then the heaviest cut of rubbing compound I could get at the auto parts store, then back to the light oxidation remover. It sure looks pretty now.
I guess the big thing is to not start out with anything heavier than you need at first, because you will have to work your way through the lighter things, like finer sand paper if you are wet sanding.
http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/01.htm
http://www.boatbuilding.net/article.pl?sid=06/04/20/1158245
http://www.fiberglassics.com/restoration/restoring-gel-coat

Chris
Chris

gdombroski

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was going to paint my wide blue stripe as it was not possible to keep it looking good for more then a month as the heavy oxidation look would come back quickly even after using the 3M heavy duty compound/wax. I bought the paint and recommended application products one of which was Interlux 202 Fiberglass Solvent wash $22.99. After reading the label I decided to see if I could get off the old wax and oxidation with it. After several passes with a scrub pad doing a small area at a time as you need to get it off quickly used paper towels for that. Was amazed on how much came off. Looked pretty good so I did the rest. Afterwhich used the 3M light oxidation compound wax. Key to it is also that don't let it dry before buffing off again paper towels. Looked amazing but followed with a good marine polish and has looked like new for couple of months already when in the past it would have showed stains and oxidation emerging. Hoping it stays that way but time will tell. So good that I returned the paint.

I use 3m super duty rubbing compound. Try it on a small area first., polish and then final wax. It takes lots of time. Try the makita or dewalt variable speed buffers for detail work. Start on slower speed. If this doesnt work., chk out the wet sand method via forum. this is a very common debated topic. Lots of ideas here.

GMIslander

Seaman Apprentice

family.php.gif
"3M Marine Restorer and Wax" does a nice job with a power buffer.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

+1^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Used a pneumatic buffer, get it as warm as you can with the buffer for best results.