My first look at an I/O, what should I look for??

CPTom21

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've only been around outboards before(and I only know the most basic things). I'm going to be looking at a 1969 Glasstron with an I/O. What should I look for on the engine?? Yes, I know there are the obvious things, but what else? Any advice would be appreciated. Unfortunetly I won't be able to see the engine running because the owner is in the 10th Mtn. Div., and his unit is in Afghanistan(his wife is showing me the boat, and she says she doesn't know how to start it.)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: My first look at an I/O, what should I look for??

I've only been around outboards before(and I only know the most basic things). I'm going to be looking at a 1969 Glasstron with an I/O. What should I look for on the engine?? Yes, I know there are the obvious things, but what else? Any advice would be appreciated. Unfortunetly I won't be able to see the engine running because the owner is in the 10th Mtn. Div., and his unit is in Afghanistan(his wife is showing me the boat, and she says she doesn't know how to start it.)

Ayuh,... If it's a 1969 OMC, you Don't want it...
Even if it ain't an OMC, parts are probably gonna be a problem, because of it's age...

I'd be mostly concerned about it being a Rotten hull...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Have to agree, go newer, and on a small boat, outboards are better in many ways. Better power to weight ratio, more room in the boat, easier to winterize, etc. After fixing the deck on this boat, I would not buy another older boat, but something in the range of 3-5 years old. No more glass work for me!

CPTom21

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just talked to the wife, and she is not sure what brand the motor is, so I probably posted in the wrong category. lol Thanks for the replies folks.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't be particularly interested in any OLD I/O. Real money pit potential there.

lcmains1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unfortunetly I won't be able to see the engine running because the owner is in the 10th Mtn. Div., and his unit is in Afghanistan(his wife is showing me the boat, and she says she doesn't know how to start it.)

I'mnot buying anything that old without knowing it runs. Hell, I most likely would not haul it off if it was free. Sounds like a huge headache!

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

Look for a boat with an OUTBOARD !

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Look for a boat with an OUTBOARD !

Um.....but he isn't he looking for an I/O?

If your budget only allows you to look at 1969 (vintage) boats, it may be best for you to rent something newer.

Even if FREE, getting a boat that old will almost always cost you a LOT!!

oh....btw, No 1969 boat (unless recently restored by someone else) is rarely even worth "FREE"!

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Unless it has the 120 / 140 4cyl, or better yet the 165 6cyl, with it mated to a merc pre alpha, then yes it would be worth considering. OMC = NO!

If it is an old glastron, it is probably small like 16-18', maybe a good restoration project if you can get it free or for just a few hundred. I got mine cheap enough and the money I put into it, seems mechanically sound.