stringer outdrive

krovar

Seaman
found a 1976 cobolt boat is in pretty good shape but i think i has a stringer outdrive behind a 351 motor runs good has been sitting for 6 years is it worth messing with, the outdrive worries me ive never had any dealings with this drive.

JD in Milwaukee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: stringer outdrive

Could it be a volvo/penta? They do look similar. If it's a stringer, parts can be tough to find. But ebay always has some parts on there. Can you test drive the boat? I have a 79 stringer behind a 4 banger. I was shocked at how quiet and absolutely manueverable it is. It's pier manners are spectacular. It will spin in it's own length. I got the boat cheap, if the stringer dies I'll hang an out board off of it. Remember it's a 76. 35 years have passed since it was built.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Sitting for 6 years won't affect a stringer to speak of, (assuming the gear chambers are full of oil, not water). I had a stringer for 25 years with no serious issues.

superbenk

Commander

I'd leave it alone. Sounds like a troublesome boat out of the gate & adding an obsolete drive is just asking for more trouble.