17' Bayliner Capri w/ 50 HP Force & Tubing help

N1ROA

Recruit
:redface: So I am new to this boating thing. Wondering if I can get some opinions. I just upgraded from a little boat to a 17' Bayliner Capri with a 50 horse Force which runs top per the boatyard. They said it runs like it was brand new. I haven't had it out yet but everyone says that it is enough for pulling a single or double tube. Not looking for speed, just something for the kids to enjoy some water, maybe the wife and I might jump on a tube from time to time. My question is, do I need to dive into the pricey pylon for this, or will a typical rope tubing harness work just fine. Ideas and/or opinions on all this would be greatly appreciated.

jeremy_nash

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 17' Bayliner Capri w/ 50 HP Force & Tubing help

Typical harness that uses the transom eyes will serve you just fine. I got mine from walmart for less than $20. It is actually recommended not to use a ski pylon for pulling an accessory is attached to the rope itself, as the tension on the pylon if it submarines will likely ruin it.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You definitely DO NOT need to put a pylon on your boat. Towing from a lower point with bridle from the rear transom eyes will give you better hole shot than with a higher pylon, and pull the boat around less when the tube swings to the side.

Have fun.

haley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey,

We have almost the same set ups. I have a "new to me" 16' Four Winns with a 60HP OB.

As mentioned above most pylons seem to have a warning against use with tubes. I have a bridle, but also thought these bridle with pulley contraptions were neat. But I want to hold off until I get some experience. It is very tempting to throw new money at the new toy but I am sure that there will be plenty of opportunity for that later.

I look forward to sharing some great stories with another little boat tuber.

John

Ithica DB

Seaman

Hook low and pull. You want to pull at plane speed you will find pancake tubes work better with lower Hp. If you are wanting to whip from side to side the bigger the load on the tube the less whip you need. If you have small kids it is harder to whip them. NEVER whip to a slack rope this scares me it could really kill someone!

N1ROA

Recruit

Thank you everyone for all the replies. I definately now know what I need to go out and look for. Thank goodness I posted before I went out and spent $$ for no reason.