Here's a stupid question...

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Anchor retrieval/mooring/fender balls...

How do you inflate them? I have one that needs to be filled up, but everytime I do, when I remove the inflater, too much air gets out while I'm trying to get the cap back on. Is there a trick?

cr2k

Captain
Re: Here's a stupid question...

Practice, practice, practice.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Practice, practice, practice.
:)^^^^^:)

If the fill valve is small enough, hold your finger or thumb against the inflator nozzle and valve together. as you quickly remove the nozzle, roll your finger over the open valve. Place the valve cover against your finger and quickly swap.

If that doesn't work out the way you'd like the first time... "Practice, practice, practice.";)

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Are they the same as a beach ball??????

IF yes ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what VH said,
(blow, pinch stem, tongue over hole, role in plug, Short version. :D)

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Are they the same as a beach ball??????

IF yes ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what VH said,
(blow, pinch stem, tongue over hole, role in plug, Short version. :D)

No, it's a screw in plug, and it doesn't get air-tight until it's pretty much tightened all the way. I think it's impossible to get these things fully inflated.

Here's a pic of one off THT. The cap is that slotted screw looking thing....

174362d1306078106-polyform-a3-fender-mooring-ball-dsc_0713.jpg

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

No, it's a screw in plug, and it doesn't get air-tight until it's pretty much tightened all the way. I think it's impossible to get these things fully inflated.

Here's a pic of one off THT. The cap is that slotted screw looking thing....

174362d1306078106-polyform-a3-fender-mooring-ball-dsc_0713.jpg

Put a little dab of vaseline on the threads. That will give you a better seal before it's screwed in all the way.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bear in mind, the only moring float I've ever used was a stainless beer keg (years ago - we used what we had) - but does it have to be completely inflated to work properly? I thought they were fairly stiff rubber/plastic and would hold their shape pretty well. Just curious.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

They hold their shape ok, and for a mooring fender it would be fine. I use mine as an anchor ball, and it just doesn't seem to work right. I figure increased buoyancy would help.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If it is holding its shape, then it doesn't matter how much air you put in. You could inflate it to bursting and it will still have the same buoyancy because it is the water displaced, not the pressure inside that determines how well it floats. Think of a SCUBA tank--full or empty, it still needs the same weight to counter its buoyancy.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

If it is holding its shape, then it doesn't matter how much air you put in. You could inflate it to bursting and it will still have the same buoyancy because it is the water displaced, not the pressure inside that determines how well it floats. Think of a SCUBA tank--full or empty, it still needs the same weight to counter its buoyancy.

Kind of like pressurizing pontoon tubes to give them more buoyancy........:facepalm::facepalm:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

actually since unlike a scuba tank the ball not rigid if the ball is being submerged the pressure WILL help because as it gets deeper in the water it will need more pressure to maintain it's size...

OP you could try this......air it up and put it in a deep freezer..... then after a few hours pull it out and air it up again

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Anchor retrieval/mooring/fender balls...

How do you inflate them? I have one that needs to be filled up, but everytime I do, when I remove the inflater, too much air gets out while I'm trying to get the cap back on. Is there a trick?

I thought they had to be orange????

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I thought they had to be orange????

Who said that? Maybe if you're using it as a buoy, but as a fender or for anchor retrieval it could be any color. I think my next one will be fuschia. :D