trim question

veeru

Cadet
I Have the Volvo Penta 5.0 GL SXA kit 2008 model on a glastron. Mentioned in a prev post that the boat pulls violently to the left if steering left alone. We have checked everything and found nothing obviously wrong with the steering mechanism. Cables and links, smooth and good on dry dock. No oil loss anywhere in power steering fluid, no squeals or noises from the pump, belts all good. Boat normal at slow speeds at say 5 knots. Boat steering absiolutely normal at dry dock. At anything above 5 knots it you literally have to fight the steering to keep it straight. We did see minor oil streaks in the water when parked in water but have seen no signs of engine oil leak or gearbox oil leak or steering pump malfunction . Unable to find out where that oil trace may have come from.

Only thing we have not checked is the trim cylinders. If one of them were to be faulty or leaking will this be a cause of the boat being left heavy??? Will need to remove their split pins and test them individually on the hard standing but was wondering if anyone else has experienced a broken down trim cylinder and if so what would its effect be on the boat.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: trim question

If one of them were to be faulty or leaking will this be a cause of the boat being left heavy???

Nope, they are tee'd together for up and down. Both receive same amount of pressure.

Art Bernard

Banned

Have you checked the trimtab on your lower unit. When you let go the wheel and the boat want's to turn, it's prolly this trim tab needs adjusting or trim your trim tabs are set wrong or have a problem. I'd check the trimtab on the lowerunit before I get into the boat tabs.

Art

veeru

Cadet

Tks Don/ Art. Only thing i can imagine in this case is some form of malfunction inside the steering pump or steering hydraulic mechanism. There is no oil swirl inside the powersteering pump when the engine runs. In a car you normally see the oil going from one end and coming out at the other. One is high pressure and one is return. In case of any blockage or breakdown the oil is probably sitting still.
What would be the obvious way to test. Remove the hi pressure oil tube and see it it squirts oil when engine turned on.??? Or bleed the system???