Gimble Bearing Greasing.....greasing a Non Greasable Gimble

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class
1969 StarCraft 18ft BowRider 2.5ltr 120hp.

I replaced the Gimble Bearing 2-3 years ago. There's no grease fitting on the gimble housing. I'd like to shoot/repack the bearing while I do the regular outdrive PM's.

Is there a way to inject grease, into the gimble bearing, without having a grease fitting on the housing?

Or do I just run it until it starts growling again?

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Gimble Bearing Greasing.....greasing a Non Greasable Gimble

Tilt bearing sideways and pull out by hand, use grease repacking tool, and insert bearing. You WILL need an alignment bar which you should own anyways.

http://www.mercstuff.com/gimbalbearing1.htm

Do not accidently hit the dust cover seal on the bearing, only hit the outer race.

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Interesting. Thanks! Have the alignment tool, but not the grease packer. Looks like I should be able to fabricate something. Or just buy one and get it over with! Or I wonder if a needle would work?

Thanks again.

I may post some pics in case someone else needs a hand............................

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is the bearing in the mercstuff link the type of gimbal bearing you have? If so,you could also get the new style gimbal bearing that is sealed, then you don't have to worry about greasing it.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

could make this , I`m sure theres a few old tolerance rings floating around, might try a boat shop near you.
gimbalgreasetool.jpg

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the bearing in the mercstuff link the type of gimbal bearing you have? If so,you could also get the new style gimbal bearing that is sealed, then you don't have to worry about greasing it.

It may very well be a sealed bearing. Last time, that I saw it, was a year ago. Poor thing only made it into the water twice last season. (I ran the pontoon & fishing boat the most)

This year will be different, Lord willing. Saturday is "Gus" day. (avatar StarCraft) Going through the works.

If the gimble is sealed, no greasing?