Jet Boat Fiberglass hull damage question :: pics

fl34608

Recruit
Hi, I hit a rock going a few mph. It scrapped a good chunk of fiberglass off the boat and I can see the metal beneath. Can you tell me how serious this is? Images attached.

Attachments

• 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 099.jpg
    099.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 0

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Jet Boat Fiberglass hull damage question :: pics

From what I am able to make out in the pics, it appears to be mostly cosmetic (didn't look like there was any broken glass). What broke off is actually gelcoat and the exposed darker material is the fiberglass. How fast were you going? Providing there was no damage to the fiberglass this is a simple repair. You'll want to sand the area with 80 grit paper making sure to taper the broken edges of the gelcoat. Wipe down with acetone and lay in some new material (polyester based). Some people will use marine tex, however I would personally prefer to use either a paste gelcoat or some variation of it. My personal choice is a filler made by AdTech, their p-14 ultra filler. It's a white paste but probably won't match the color of your hull. After it's filled and fared in if color matching isn't a concern then you could call this repaired/finished. If you want the repair to completely go away then go over top of this material with a color matched gelcoat. Wetsand, buff and it's good as new. Hope this helps! Probably take an hour or so and less than $30 (unless you buy/pay for some color matched gelcoat.

fl34608

Recruit

Thanks for the tips. I hit a rock at a few mph. I purchased:

P-14 ULTRA FILLER(Quart Unit ) 1 $30.80 White White Hardener

Is this the only material I need to fix my hull?

Rick

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

sandpaper (80 grit for all the prep and shaping of the filler, 220, 400 and 600 for finishing), acetone, papertowel, rubber gloves, mix sticks, and some buffing compound. Now I do need to stress that I am ASSUMING that there is no glass damage! From what I could see in the pics it looked OK, but take a close look after the area is cleaned up and look for any white lines (cracks) in the fiberglass. If there is then there will be a few additional steps required. If you haven't actually purchased the filler yet, try these guys http://www.expresscomposites.com/fillers.html $17/Qt Let me know if you have any other Q's.. Good luck!

fl34608

Recruit

Thank you for the info. I do not think there is a safety issue bringing the boat into the water once or twice before the gel coat is repaired (assuming I don't hit another rock in the same area, which I won't).. Do you agree?

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

You want the area to be good and dry for repair it is better to fix it while it is out. People do run there boats with damage. My opinion is why tempt fate. Check very thorough there is not damage to the glass itself if you do go out. If there is you are letting in H20 and that can cause rot.

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Should be ok providing there is no glass damage. If it's structurally sound there will be very little absorption and a day out of the water and a few good wipe downs with acetone should bring moisture level to an acceptable level. However, it would be best to do the repairs prior to launching. Assuming you're itchin' to go boating over Mem. Weekend? Gotta say I don't blame you:p Have fun!