2008 Tahoe 215 i/o deck boat drain plugs in transom

Status
Not open for further replies.

gknickel4

Recruit
Just bought a used 2008 215 deck boat with a 4.3 liter V6 carburated i/o. There are several drain holes in the transom and I am not sure what they are all for. Any other boats I have owned have all been outboards with a simple drain plug that is removable. Tahoe boats don't come with an owner's manual and understandably, the Mercruiser engine manual is not helpful in this regard.

There are five inlets/outlets - one with a grate (I assume is the water intake for the engine??), one with a brass plug (probably for draining the oil??), two openings that have stainless rings around them and a final one that is black plastic and threaded. Should this black plastic threaded unit have some sort of plug for it?? Help - I feel like an idiot. The boat does have a bilge pump and a live well.

bellhop

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2008 Tahoe 215 i/o deck boat drain plugs in transom

The brass one is for your oil drain, the threaded one is your bilge drain, and the two with the stainless rings around them should be the drains for the two compartments on your swim platform. That black threaded one is pretty important in keeping your boat on top of the water. Not sure about that fifth one.

gknickel4

Recruit

Thanks, Bellhop. Ya, I kinda wanted a boat that floats and not a submarine.

bellhop

Seaman Apprentice

Well, submarines are a beautiful thing, just don't add a screen room on. Enjoy!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Engine intake should be through the drive.
The grated one could be for a live well pick up or something else.
Get in the boat and start searching.
It would drive me NUTS not know what everything goes to.
I had a boat with 2 drain plugs so make sure you figure it out.Post a pic.Profile?J

mippel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think that we need more information. Does it have a live well, sink or built in cooler? I would guess that the brass one is the bilge drain, the covered one could be a pick up for live well? I know on my 4.3, there is no oil drain, as it is removed from the dip stick. Not saying that there could be an addition to the motor, but i dont think that they would mount a oil drain on the outside of the boat.
A pic and listed items that could hold water would help.

bellhop

Seaman Apprentice

His boat is very similar to mine and the drains should be as I replied previously. The grate very well could be for a livewell if he has one, I don't. The brass plug is for the engine oil drain. Loosen it and it's attatched to teather and you pull it outside of the boat and pull the plug off the end. Oil drains into a container. No more pumping it out through the dipstick that way. I really don't care for the plastic threaded drain plug but I can live with it.

ckcatiboats

Cadet
I purchased a 2009 Tahoe Q4 and it has two 'drain' plugs on the backside transom. One has the brass insert I presume is the main drain plug, but not sure on the other. The 2nd one is black but has threads on the inside. We tried to launch last week but took on water and came back up. We did not have an extra plug with us so no way to test, and without a manual we are stuck. Would love ideas and help.

Attachments

• photo313298.jpg
    photo313298.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo313299.png
    photo313299.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

roffey

Commander

I think that we need more information. Does it have a live well, sink or built in cooler? I would guess that the brass one is the bilge drain, the covered one could be a pick up for live well? I know on my 4.3, there is no oil drain, as it is removed from the dip stick. Not saying that there could be an addition to the motor, but i dont think that they would mount a oil drain on the outside of the boat.
A pic and listed items that could hold water would help.

I have a 4.3 Merc the oil can be pulled from the dip stick hole or from the brass plug in the back. My does double duties. If you just unscrew the plug it will drain the hull or fill it depending on where you are, lol. If you pull on that plug you will find it is attached to a hose. If you unscrew that plug in the hose the oil will drain out. The idea is for the boat to be on a trailer and just let the oil drain out into a bucket... I can see from the picture the brass plug is connected to that hose I speak of, give it a tug and you will see what I mean..

ckcatiboats

Cadet
It has a built in cooler and center for skis etc both that have drains, but no live well. And I/O and not for oil.

ckcatiboats

Cadet
I read that and why I sent pics and that mainly said need more info. Hoping someone has a Q4 that might know

Status
Not open for further replies.