Bent Roller Replacement and maybe changing trailer setup ?

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I read on here someplace rollers are the devil:confused::confused: so as you can see in the pic one of the front rollers is badly bent......done by previous owner so not sure if boat bounced was brought in to fast or what but,,,,,doe not look good to me it also has boards in combination with the rollers.....is this a good setup or should I think about making some changes....boat is in slip at Marina until July so I have some time to get whatever done to the trailer. Thanks for the ideas and input

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bent Roller Replacement and maybe changing trailer setup ?

That looks like a perfectly fine setup to me. I'd just replace whatever is damaged.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

HI-
just a quick observation, first off just replace the rusted broken rollers.
Second thought, your slider bunks, one appears to be twisted up on edge???

I was always under the impression that with bunks, they should "CUP" your vessel, this being said 2% of the weight on the rollers, 98% of the weight on the bunks.
The bunks I think should be as far out and up as possible, this gives you better stability while trailering and easier loading and unloading.
If I was in your place, I would measure how far up and out I have to go till it is set under the appropriate chine, set it and test at the boat launch, adjust if required.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Leave everything as is and just replace what is bad.
Might want to change over to poly rollars as you replace the rubber ones.
Looks like there is almost zero height adjustment for those rollers.
So you have to adjust the bunks up to the boat. Which I would do with quite a bit of force so that the bunks actually carry some load.
Might want to tighten up the pivot points of the bunks so they do not flop over.

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes one of the bunks has come loose/broken......will be replacing possibly both of them...if one goes figure the other will be close behind....thanks for the poly advice.....

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

As you've stated the trailer will be empty until July so now would be a good time to thoroughly go thru it and get it ready. With that much time available I would pull all the rollers and inspect the roller shafts for wear and corrosion or to see if any more are bent. Pull the bunk boards and again inspect all mounting and hardware. Then pull the hubs and clean and repack the bearings and replace the grease seals. Also look over the wiring for any corrosion, fraying or loose connections.

Looks like a well built trailer that just needs a little maintenance.