Mercruiser 165 possible fuel problem HELP!!!!

adm1476

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1981 cruiser with a 165 mercruiser engine, and alpha one stern drive. Yesterday while using the boat in 5ft swells the boat started not wanting to take any throttle. We hit a swell pretty hard and as soon as we came off of it, the boat would no longer take more than 1/4 throttle. It idles fine, and drives fine, but I can't give it any throttle if I try it bogs down. The more I try the worse it is. The fuel is clean and fresh,and the filter is clean. Mine is a glass see through type. Thought the float might have stuck. So I took off the top of the carb to free it up, but it was fine. Fuel pump looks dry(not weeping). If I shut it off it will restart with no problem and run fine just can't accelerate. Anyone have any ideas?Possible fuel pump?

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercruiser 165 possible fuel problem HELP!!!!

It could be a fuel pump? Sounds like a fuel problem of some kind.

Did you check BOTH fuel filters? or just the one on top of the fuel pump?

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hook a line from the fuel pump inlet directly to a 5 gal gas can. You have just taken the tank and plumbing out of the picture.

adm1476

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually I only checked the 2 that I installed a glass inline, and the one in the carb. I will check the one in the pump tomorrow.
Thanks Adam