Impressive

PW2

Commander
Just thought I'd share this.

My daughter completed the Ironman Texas in Houston over the weekend in 11 hrs 40 minutes.
She is blind, and this is by far the fastest time ever recorded by a blind athlete, male or female, in an Ironman event.

Her blog of the event is pretty interesting:

http://patriciaironmantexas.wordpress.com

She said in her blog that her time was 11:50, but the official time was 11:40 as recorded on the official event website. It was overall placing her 349th of all participants (there were several thousand). She placed overall 13th among females age 30-39.

She never ceases to amaze me! Clearly some sort of genetic mutation.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Impressive

That's outstanding. She sounds like a unique individual who is a pleasure to know. I know you're proud. There's just something about daughters, isn't there?

aspeck

Staff member

That is totally AWESOME! An impressive feat and an impressive spirit! You have good reason to be a proud PaPa, PW!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

WOW!!! VERY INSPIRING! I am impressed and you should be very proud of your daughter.

The BEST part of iboats is reading the occasional great story and this one ranks up there among the absolute best.

Please pass on all of these congratulations to your daughter!

Probably 99% + of the 277,000 iboats member's would never even dream of attempting such a feat!

Thank you for posting this.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats, I'm sure you're very proud of her......

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Wow!!

Gosh, PW2, Patricia is an absolute wonder. A terrific writer, too. I have a very damp tissue here.

I have the feeling that she can do absolutely anything she decides to do, and that her Dad has a heart bursting with pride. Mine would be. :)

D

DJ

That is terrific! Inspirational doesn't begin to describe it.

That is an amazing accomplishment for anyone.

PW2

Commander

Thanks, JB.

When she was younger, I used to gently caution her about setting unrealistic goals, but I used to chalk it up to youthful exhuberance, and figure she would eventually establish her own limits far better than me telling her where they should be.

As she got a little older, I remained somewhat skeptical, but generally kept that skepticism to myself.

I no longer question anything she tells me.

Even old timers like me can learn!

And to top it off, she is genuinely a nice kid!

Wow!!

Gosh, PW2, Patricia is an absolute wonder. A terrific writer, too. I have a very damp tissue here.

I have the feeling that she can do absolutely anything she decides to do, and that her Dad has a heart bursting with pride. Mine would be. :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In these days of gloom, doom and despair I think more people need to see this story of what the human spirit can do when the label of "victim" is rejected.

Therefore: bump

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I can't access blogs at work, but I've made myself a note to read it when I get home. PW, your daughter is truly remarkable, but I'd like to recognize your remarkable parenting as well. Your willingness to give her the support and the freedom she clearly needed over the years tempered by a realistic attitude toward her physical limitations offset by a willingness to let her see what she could do in spite of them speaks to your strength of character, which you clearly passed on to her.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You forgot to include this little gem in your post

I never actually thought 12 was possible. Needless to say I?m thrilled with the time of 11:50. That puts me 4 hours faster than the previous fastest blind female, and 55 minutes faster than the fastest blind male.

In-friggin'-credible.