Full bilge......Any damage

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer
Well...we had a terrible thunderstorm Tuesday night and I forgot to take out my plug. The bow/cockcpit cover leaks pretty good at the windshield. Bilge was full, the water did not get up to the starter motor which is mounted on the lower starboard side of the motor but it may have reached what seems to be the oil pan? But I am not totally sure if it is the the oil pan on my engine (2008 4.3l merc) Anything I should be concerned about or looking for next time I go out? Thanks

emoney

Commander
Re: Full bilge......Any damage

Nope, just let it dry out good. As long as it wasn't started, water shouldn't have any way of getting inside. Your Trailblazer's engine get's wet every time you drive it in the rain or through a puddle.

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I foresee no problem for you. Enjoy.

lcmains1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bet you never forget the plug again!

Split Shot

Seaman Apprentice

jmarty, think about gett'n a auto bilge switch (cheap). Works like a sump pump switch. water rises and it turns on the pump. If you are like me, you will forget the plug again.:facepalm:

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

jmarty, think about gett'n a auto bilge switch (cheap). Works like a sump pump switch. water rises and it turns on the pump. If you are like me, you will forget the plug again.:facepalm:

yep.....I've been contemplating this for a while and really want to do it. Problem is the darn pump is buried directly under the motor, in the middle of the bilge. Cant figure out how to even reach the pump and or mount/wire a float switch.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks this is good info. But, I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out just how to get to the pump and wiring. If my arms grew 3 more feet I cold tackle this project easily! At some point I'm going to take pictures and ask for advice on how to get to pumps that are buried under the engine.

cr2k

Captain

Your starter will be needing replacement in the near future. Maybe next time out, maybe next month, maybe not for the the season but it did get wet, it will rust and it will fail. Fact of life.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Your starter will be needing replacement in the near future. Maybe next time out, maybe next month, maybe not for the the season but it did get wet, it will rust and it will fail. Fact of life.

ummmm..the starter did not get wet. Did you miss reading that in my first post?

Pete104

Lieutenant

Just mount a float switch on rigid piece of aluminum somewhere accessible, screw it down. Who cares if ain't on floor of the bilge. Wire it up, your safe if your battery stays HOT!

Art Bernard

Banned

I'd pull your dipstick and look for water just to be safe.

Art

fastimz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You will be fine. The oil pan doesn't leak oil out so it won't let water leak in. The starter will also be fine, if you are concerned about it spray it with a little WD40. I also forgot my plug two seasons ago, but mine was way worse. I forgot to put it in before launching the boat. The starter went under before I realized the bilge pump was pumping its butt off. Things happen. I third the motion on the bilge pump switch. I have a similar issue with my Sun Runner. The pump is buried under the 454 and I can't even see it. If you can get to the wires splice in a float switch and wire it directly to the battery. That way if you forget to turn on the switch it will still operate as an automatic pump. Go boating, have fun!