Almost sank it

moesislack

Cadet
Hey everyone, put the boat in the water for the first time on Saturday, it almost went under. We got it back to the dock, jacked it up and it seems the water was coming from behind where the stern meets the hull. Is there a seal or gasket that could have gone bad back there? The bilge couldn't keep up with it and had the motor cover off, no water coming from the hoses or manifolds. The boat is a 89 chaparell with an onc cobra i/o. Thanks for any opinions!

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Almost sank it

was the drain plug in? it's on the transom, bottom middle... I'm guessing so but thought I would start with the obvious:redface:

moesislack

Cadet

LOL!!! yeah the drain plug was in. It just looked like it was running out from the the area around where the stern drive fits into the boat.

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rotten transom possibly. Or it just could be a bad drive bellows. Have you pulled the drive yet??

moesislack

Cadet

I didn't get a chance to pull it yet, I hope its not a rotten transom, there isan't much you could do for that could you?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I didn't get a chance to pull it yet, I hope its not a rotten transom, there isan't much you could do for that could you?

Sure, that's what we're HERE for. We help iBoaters do it all the time. Check your Outdrive seal. Best way is put the boat on the trailer and STRAP her down. Then back the boat into the water untill the outdrive and transom is underwater. Have someone in the back of the boat and see where the water starts coming in. You should be able to tell pretty quickly. If you lucky it will be the seal. If it's the transom, well not so lucky, but we can guide you through the process, if you want to go that route.

moesislack

Cadet

I am thinking it is just a seal, because there is no signs of rotting on the boat, it is kept in a temp control garage all year long and is only in the water for about 50 hrs a year for fishing. If I can't take it to water, is if possible to fill the bilge with a hose and see where is comes out at?

moesislack

Cadet

I am going to pull it on Monday, My buddy who is helping me said something about a exhaust bearing that could be shot. Does this sound like that could be it? The water was actually dripping down from the top of the transom. So I'm hoping its just a loose bolt

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

I am going to pull it on Monday, My buddy who is helping me said something about a exhaust bearing that could be shot. Does this sound like that could be it? The water was actually dripping down from the top of the transom. So I'm hoping its just a loose bolt

Yeah, those pesky exhaust bearings can be a real PITA:facepalm: If its dripping from the top of the transonm, it probably rules out that bearing. Also rules out filling the bilge with water to find the leak. You would submerge your engine, and most of the interior for that matter. :facepalm: With the drive up, get under and look closely at your bellows for cracks etc, as allready stated, and cross your fingers:D

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would inspect the bellows.
I seen a boat almost sink because of were the plug goes in, the bracket that holds the plug came loose from the transom.

moesislack

Cadet

If the transom was rotten and made the bolts loose, would the water pressure force the water up and over making it drip down from the top?

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Cobra leaked too. The transom was solid'ish... I replaced the transom and transom gasket to cure mine. The Transom gasket is probably where it is leaking from. I would inspect very closely for rotten/wet wood though.

Friscoboater

Captain

I did not see this suggestion. Put your plug in while the boat in on the trailer, and then fill the bilge with water. Go around to the back and look to see where the water is coming out. If the water is coming in that fast I would not think it was the transom.

moesislack

Cadet

Well pulled the stern off on sunday night. gasket where the stern meets the transom was not in great condition but it was intact. exhaust bellows were fine, the bellows above that,(where the shaft goes into the motor, had a few imperfections around them and had milky grease in them but were not dry rotted. My buddy said that there are two seals where the shaft goes into the motor, and that they might be bad because that should have kept the water out. so where are going to replace all that stuff. My question is, is there a seal that is on the transom where it is bolted to the boat? The water ran out on each side of the transom, and if water was coming out, doesn't that mean that water can get in from there as well?