Anyone familar with the American 16 sailboats?

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Like the title says is anyone familiar with the American 16 sailboats.

I want to add some more stowage space and had thought about cutting out and fiber glassing a couple of small lockers into the cockpit seats. The problem I have is that I know the boat has foam flotation in it and as far as I can tell it is good so if I do the glassing properly and use watertight doors should I have to worry about screwing up the flotation of the hull. Sorry if this sounds stupid is the only boat I have ever owned with flotation foam.

I am including a pic with what I have in mind please excuse the mess the pic is from when I first purchased the boat was the best one I had to show my idea.

streamimage.php

Thanks,
yonu

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Anyone familar with the American 16 sailboats?

a small locker should be OK but just remember, nothing is waterproof. You risk getting a slow leak into your foam and then having waterlooded foam--a bad thing on a sailboat where weight is so important. Why not strap in a watertight tool box between the seat and the transom?

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Anyone familar with the American 16 sailboats?

I actually have to a toolbox strapped on one side and a 2.5 gal fuel tank on the other side that was what made me think about glassing in a couple of compartments