What makes points go bad????

Nickdogg

Seaman
I have a 91 vip with a 3.0 omc. 4cylinder Motor Has GM on the side. Thought i was haveing carb problems. But now im Starting to lean more toward fireing problems. It idles but only if i have my idle srew all the way in and it idles rough n smokes a lil not oil smoke though. When i give it gas it take a sec to take it and acts like its boggn down. Could anyone tell me how i can check the point or anything else i can check
. Thank you

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What makes points go bad????

Best way is to pull them out and visually inspect them. As with anything that moves and has electrical contact will eventually wear out. When were they last change? (HINT) After installing new or used, always clean with some type of oil free cleaner, ie: brake cleaner or electrical cleaner. You get the idea!
And while your in there, condenser and rotor and cap wouldn't hurt either!

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I do have 1 question. How long has it been sitting?

Nickdogg

Seaman

Been sitting for a bout year and a half. but ran it bout two months ago for about 45mins did great. i put carb kit in it and thats when it startd this. i took carb off lookd at it to see if i had it together right,put it back on and it startd fine idled good, 700 rpms. come back the next day tryd to start it and it did the same thang, idled rough and wouldnt start unless idle screw was all the way in but smoked and run rough. It has a 2bbl holley on it.

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What makes points go bad?

They are opening and closing several times per minute, and an electrical arc is being formed across them. So they will oxidize over time, and the oxidation will flake off and wear down, and eventually, the gap will widen until you have poor spark.

In my car, i went with a Pertronix swap, which eliminates the "arc" and functions off a magnetic switch. Pretty much lasts forever without adjustment or wear on the parts. But not sure if it works with marine applications. If so, I would go that route in a second. Quicker starts, smoother idle, and better fuel burn.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Been sitting for a bout year and a half. but ran it bout two months ago for about 45mins did great. i put carb kit in it and thats when it startd this. i took carb off lookd at it to see if i had it together right,put it back on and it startd fine idled good, 700 rpms. come back the next day tryd to start it and it did the same thang, idled rough and wouldnt start unless idle screw was all the way in but smoked and run rough. It has a 2bbl holley on it.

Ok first thing I have to ask. Did you use a genuine Holley rebuild kit? 2nd. There is a right way and a wrong to adjust a Holley. 80% of people don't know how to adjust them, cause they think there working on a Rochester or a carter and thats not how you adjust any Holleys! If you want to know, pm me and i will explain it to you!

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I didn't catch the holley twist on this. But I agree, when rebuilding a holley, aftermarket japanese knockoff kits can kill your carb.

Get the correct rebuild kit.

Nickdogg

Seaman

I got the carb kit from JEGS it cost about 40 45 $ and it didnt start doing this until i put the kit on it. Float level checks out ok adjustment screws on each side is one and a half turn out. And has a elec chock. What gets me when i took it off to look at it when i put it back on it run finr and idled great. I done this twice and each time i put it back on it was fine till it sit for a while or over night

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The rebuild kit you got from jegs, is it a genuine Holley rebuild kit?

Nickdogg

Seaman

well it didnt say genuine on it but it did say holley rebuilt kit black box blue blue writing. Got ur pm and thanks alot..

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

and it didnt start doing this until i put the kit on it.

And now you're thinking 'points' ? Time to have the carb professionally rebuilt ... :facepalm:

I don't know if Holley packaging says 'genuine', or not, but 'Holley' would be almost mandatory ... ;)

SeanMcl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The genuine ones look like this. I think you got the good one.

Holley_Box_703-30.jpg

And I think Outsider is right. If you weren't having the issue until you put the kit in, don't start poking around elsewhere. Call Holley tech support, and give them the list number of the carb. Have them verify what kit is correct. (270) 781-9741 Monday through Friday from 8AM to 6PM CST, and Saturday from 9AM to 3PM CST.

I put the wrong kit in my 2 bbl Holley the first time I rebuilt mine, and it ran poorly because the gaskets weren't the same and the one I used covered something it shouldn't have. Power valve was wrong too.

Nickdogg

Seaman

yea my box lookd liked that one, i dont no its driven me crazy, when i took it back off n took it apart put it back together it bustd right off but sit over night it went back to running bad.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nickdogg{Wish I was there to lend a hand but I am to busy here cause fishing season has opened. The only thing I can think of at this moment if you reassembled as I PMd you on rebuilding Holleys, is the throttle shaft worn out? It will move ever so slightly in and out, but that's it. If you would like it to be overhauled and tested before reinstalling, PM me and let me know.

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

If you have to turn the idle mixture screws in all the way and it is smoking (black smoke unburned fuel) then it is an over rich mixture. This over rich mixture at idle with the screws all the way in would lead me to believe either the fuel inlet valve is leaking or the float is adjusted too high causing fuel to flood over into the throttle bores.

As for points a bad condensor will cause points to burn up. Condensor keeps the points from arcing which is what burns them up. Still they burn up and need replacement. A switch to mag pick up like scooper was talking about is the way to go. I'm not sure on this but I would have thought a '91 would be long past the years of points.

Nickdogg

Seaman

Its the idle screw were the throttle cable hooks to the carb, thats the screw thats got to be turnd all the way in for it to crank on its on,i can have sumone back there feathern the gas and it will fire up but still smokes n got to keep feathern the gas and it bog it when u give it gas, the idle mixture screws aint they on the sides or the carb. Nice boat dude!!