taking on water??

neight.330

Recruit
ok i am a newb at boating. just got my first real boat. a 1975 sea ray srv 180 with a merc 265 inline 6 i/o. i put plug in and tight b4 launching. within 30 mns or so i have at least 5 gals of water in bilge area. never seemed to come up past the waterline. Is this normal for an i/o? is that why i have a bilge pump? or is the b pump for if i get water in there during boating? and should i have a fuse box somewhere? i keep losing spark at the coil and bilge pump stops working? any help will be a big help!!

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer
Re: taking on water??

I've only owned O/B's but it is not right for any small boat to get water in it other than what splashes over the gunnels. Sounds like you need to check the wiring &/or battery. The hulls should have a fuse box & the motor may have various in-line fuses.

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

There should not be any water coming into the boat. Launch the boat and let it just float in the water without starting the engine for 15 to 20 minutes and look for leaks. If you do not have any leaks with the motor not running, then I would crank the engine and check again for leaks. The water inlet hose from the lower unit to the engine could be leaking while running or the exhaust flange where it connects to the outdrive may be leaking also. Thanks, Steven

BigLee324

Petty Officer 3rd Class

also could be the seal around the outdrive

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are also three bellows that may be leaking as well. I would think that letting it just float in the water would be good enough for those as well as the transom/outdrive seal. Thanks, Steven