Chrysler Outboard won't start

duckht1

Cadet
Hi guys im new to this forum but I have a question for you.

I bought a 90 hp Chrysler Outboard, model# 907 HB, and for some reason I can't get it to start. The starter is works great, the fuel line is brand new and primed but I dont know if the ignition system is working. Is there any way I can test the ignition system to see if im getting a spark?

emoney

Commander
Re: Chrysler Outboard won't start

Do a search here for "spark gap test" and you'll find a thread with the info. I think there's a sticky that's titled, "Tips for starting an older outboard" or something like that. It gives you a pretty thorough step-by-step checklist in getting her started. However, I would personally want to do a Compression Test first, then a spark test (and finally test the fuel system, etc.). You have a solid fuel bulb, I assume. Are you pushing the key in to activate the choke? Also, how long since it had been running and did the carbs get rebuilt before you got it? Gas that's been sitting can cause some issues and the bowl on those carbs, holds quite a bit.

If you'll perform those 3 steps and then post your results, along with your model #, somebody will come along and get you started I'm sure. Good luck

duckht1

Cadet
Re: Chrysler Outboard won't start

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll run those 3 steps and we'll see if I can get it started.