Old Merc Lower Unit seals??

MassDave

Cadet
When changing the lower unit oil on my 1960's Mercury 50hp I found no seals on the screws and there was water in the oil. I also had taken the flush screw out. The worry I have is I blew threw the tube I had using to fill it on the lower end and slight bit of oil came out the flush hole. I am guessing this is bad and I need a new seal kit.
Am I correct or is this normal, I am still pretty new to this boating thing and it was the first time I ever changed the oil.

merc850

Commander
Re: Old Merc Lower Unit seals??

It sounds like the driveshaft seal or the Oring in the waterpump base; this is similar to yoursLower-Unitsdriveshaft.jpg
, first you take the slinger off then undo the bolts that hold the cover on then pull the cover off and pull the impeller off the driveshaft. Gently pry the base up with 2 screwdrivers and you'll see the seal on the bottom, check the driveshaft for pitting and rust, if it is not too bad a light emery polishing will help.
You should get a waterpump kit to replace the seals, Oring, gaskets and impeller - your Mercury dealer may have one or east coast marine.