1984 glastron runabout 1st project boat!!

bhoff86

Seaman
Ok so found this boat and couldnt pass it up 700 bucks with a working 140 horse evinrude!! Needs a little work but still in great shape! When i purchasedhad two soft spots which turned into 3 or 4 but new floor no big deal. Transom is still solid wont budge at all. Motor just needs plugs and wires which already are installed and runs like a top. So my first of many questions to come are when i redo the floor do i cut the fiberglass all the way to the side panels where it has a slight curve to it or before the curve? And will i need to cut the boxes out that hold the back to back seats and build new boxes? And should i redo all the foam to be safe?
I will add pics when i can!!

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1984 glastron runabout 1st project boat!!

Will wait for the pictures for good answers.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I think it would help to see pics of the interior since your questions were concerning the deck and the back to back seating boxes.;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

bHoff,

TIP: Use the IMG code to put your pics directly in your post. It works a whole lot better than posting the link.

(click the pic to enlarge)
PBIMGCode.jpg

What have you done to ensure that the transom is good? You might want to be prepared to have some damage to the Stringers and bulkheads below deck as well as the transom. Anytime you have significant softspots in the deck it is a GOOD indication of the other damage. NOT ALWAYS but a LOT of the time. I would start your deck replacement by removing the aft portion of the deck first and see what lies below and to get to the lower section of the transom so you can drill some exploratory core samples inot the transom and make SURE it is sound. That's my recommendation.;)
pencil.png

parrisw

Ensign

Yup, listen to Wood, if there is some rot that you know of, almost a guarantee that there is much much more that you can see right now.

bhoff86

Seaman

Well i started by reaming on motor to see if it moved it didnt...got down by the bottom transom and used screw driver and poked and hit it...nice solid sound no thud soumd....how do i get the seat boxes out without ruining them? And the stringers seam to be totally covered in fiberglass they seam solid...but i am an amatuer so i will post more pics as i tear things apart over the next few weeks...

parrisw

Ensign

Well i started by reaming on motor to see if it moved it didnt...got down by the bottom transom and used screw driver and poked and hit it...nice solid sound no thud soumd....how do i get the seat boxes out without ruining them? And the stringers seam to be totally covered in fiberglass they seam solid...but i am an amatuer so i will post more pics as i tear things apart over the next few weeks...

You need to drill some exploritory holes in the transom, most likely down low it'll be rotted. Drill a half dozed or so, if you get nice dry chips, your good, if you get wet mulch, you're doing a transom.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If this boat had been anywhere near me for that price with this motor:

2011-05-23173415.jpg

you'd have had to race me to the door. Heck of a find. That's like a $1500+ motor there by itself.

emoney

Commander

You better lock it up because EZ has been looking for a 140 for a bit. I keep mine in an undisclosed location, lol.
I agree with everybody else, better check with some "core samples" before you do anything. As to the boxes, are they tabbed into the deck? Have you removed the seats themselves and had a look inside the boxes? Lot of times there's bolted into the sole, but at the very worst, they're probably tabbed which means you can take a sawzall and cut them out. If you're replacing the deck anyway, keep your cut line into the floor and not the boxes. Once you get the seats off and the carpet pull up, you'll have a better feel. Post pics then and somebody will walk you through it.

bhoff86

Seaman

Lol its locked up tight in my garage!! And i had to wake up at 3 in the morning to drive two hours to get there before someone else lol!!!! Im posting more pics in a bit.

bhoff86

Seaman

This is what i was asking about wood only goes to just under that fiberglass lip do i need to remove it when i do my new floor and im gonna just scrap the boxes and build better ones the driver seat needs to be moved out two inches anyway cuz the seat is actually under the throttle which i dont like. But i did get my new depth finder mounted and switches moved, seats removed and nav lights rewired and working on rewiring the horn.

bhoff86

Seaman

That is between the back seats the seat box is on left rear seat is to the right.

bhoff86

Seaman

Another pic of it...it starts up an inch and kind of slopes down or arches slowly down to the flat deck where the wood is.

bhoff86

Seaman

Here is another question and pic. The whole back end is fiberglass even where the motor is mounted its all gelcoated like the outside of the boat as you can see from the pic. How or would i need to cut all that nice fiberglass out to do the transom??

2011-05-24085628.jpg

parrisw

Ensign

If your going to do a transom, the best way is to take the cap off the boat. Look at my restore thread in my sig, it'll give you a good idea.