1967 9.5 sportwin 9722m short shaft serial #e07846

ramyourcar

Recruit
ramyourcar@yahoo.comm

i can get motor to crank and idle even shift for and rev at idle but give it throttle and it starts acting up sounds like bad miss and will soon die ive noticed primer bulb will lose pressure and has small leak at fitting near bulb.. does that matter! i dont know much about boat motors but i know this motor is in great shape for its age and would love to hear it sing again. any advice would be great..i have manual odered. thanks again for any help....

ramyourcar

Recruit
Re: 1967 9.5 sportwin 9722m short shaft serial #e07846

ramyourcar@yahoo.comm

i can get motor to crank and idle even shift for and rev at idle but give it throttle and it starts acting up sounds like bad miss and will soon die ive noticed primer bulb will lose pressure and has small leak at fitting near bulb.. does that matter! i dont know much about boat motors but i know this motor is in great shape for its age and would love to hear it sing again. any advice would be great..i have manual odered. thanks again for any help....
you take care of it it will take care of you holds true to all things

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well of course it matters if the hose leaks. But I gotta back up and ask you this: Are you running it in a barrel? With the hood on? If you are, there is your problem. They won't run in a barrel with the hood on.

Rick.

Captain

You are to be congratulated for ordering a manual. So many try to skip this important step. F_R is right as rain. I've even gone as far as to set up a fan on a stool and point it at my 9.5 when running it in a barrel in my shop (no air movement). The primer bulb is supposed to soften once the engine starts sucking gas on its own. At that point it isn't a primer bulb per say but just a fat part of the suction hose. Best of luck. Rick.

ramyourcar

Recruit

yes is in barrel does the same with top off .and thanks for response. any idea what i should start with? i will post pics

Rick.

Captain

Start point for me would be to fix the fuel leak. It will be sucking air in all likelihood. Let us know if that helps. Rick.