compass or no compass

compass or no compass

• Yes

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
so on my new sailboat i was wondering if i should but a compass on the boat. i think with a compass it would let me learn my direction even though i will never leave sight of land. so should i get out on the boat or no?

BosnBill

Banned
Re: compass or no compass

How big is the boat and the body of water you're sailing on?

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

part map.jpgwhole map.jpgthis is the best way i can descibe it by pics theres a pic of the whole map and a pic of were i boat.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

no, unless you are likely to get caught in fog. and you have to learn how to use it--another thing on your growing list.

BosnBill

Banned

Given that you never know when you might get caught in a fog I'd get a compass, even if it's a handheld. It looks like you're not dealing with a contained waterway like a lake and it's possible you might be swept into a larger body of water given variable wind, tide and current. You'll be glad you have a compass if you lose sight of land. I hope you're packing a marine radio also.

Bry1324

Seaman Apprentice

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

well said, and you would be kicking yourself in the arse if you got to a point where you needed a compass, and didnt have one

happy boating
-Bryan

ok will do compass on list of things to get i was planing on getting a handheld vhf too. my boat doesn't running lights so being in fog would be worst case senerio

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

I like the compass with a movable bezel. ( course director) tell at a glance how close your to the wind. How the boat is tuned. course back in fog. what side the spiniker pole will be set on when you round the mark. Yes I know the answers but it really is a great teaching tool.

puddle jumper

Captain

Looking at the map along with a compass you probably would also want a radar deflector if your boat has very little metal on it.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

it's a 16' sailboat. The chances of needing a compass are slim to none, certainly nothing more than a pocket compass. You don't need a radio, radar reflector, etc.
However, a handlheld radio is a good thing to have for all your boats, and you can use a compass as you are honing your sailing skills as Lyle suggested. But that is not a "need".

And SBL, you don't need running lights b/c you don't have a motor. When (if) you sail at night, you shine a flashlight on your sail. Take sailing course. You will enjoy sailing if you do. You may need the offshore survival and rescue equipment if you don't.